cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 04:03 AM   #41
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No kidding. That is what I tell my bishop every year too. I don't have to pay any tithing, because if those people really need help, the bishop will just double my payment. If he refuses, then I know he doesn't really care about helping people.
Tithing is voluntary. Taxes aren't.

Are you saying that you aren't willing to pay your share and my share so uninsured people can have health care?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:03 AM   #42
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
A giant smoking ban just took effect in France on Jan 1. I forget the details, but it seemed more progressive than what we've got in the US.
As was a move to keep dogshit off the sidewalks a few years ago. When you next visit, keep your eyes down and forward.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #43
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
How?

Protection is military, police and fire.

How does health care fall under protection?
because the healthcare industry saves and lengthens more lives in one year than the other 3 have in the history of the US? I realize that those 3 things are essential and do not seek to diminish their importance at all, but I'd much rather have a doctor's office nearby than a fire station.

Agreeing with your premise, for a moment: If we insist on private healthcare, having public education is nonsensical, and vice versa.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 AM   #44
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
because the healthcare industry saves and lengthens more lives in one year than the other 3 have in the history of the US? I realize that those 3 things are essential and do not seek to diminish their importance at all, but I'd much rather have a doctor's office nearby than a fire station.

Agreeing with your premise, for a moment: If we insist on private healthcare, having public education is nonsensical, and vice versa.
I'd be happy if education was completely privatized.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #45
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Tithing is voluntary. Taxes aren't.

Are you saying that you aren't willing to pay your share and my share so uninsured people can have health care?
If tithing is voluntary, then you actually have the choice to pay my tithing for me, whereas taxes are not, so it isn't an option. Are you saying you won't pay my tithing for me? My bishop wouldn't either. Clearly he doesn't love people.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:12 AM   #46
Cali Coug

Quote:
I'd be happy if education was completely privatized.
Then why promote infrastructure? Private enterprise can figure that out too. Why provide police and fire? If you can't afford police or fire, you probably don't have much to protect anyways, right?

Why provide national security? All that really does is protect property interests, and if you have property, you ought to be able to protect it on your own. Right? If you can't protect it, you shouldn't own it. Let the strong survive and the weak die.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #47
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If tithing is voluntary, then you actually have the choice to pay my tithing for me, whereas taxes are not, so it isn't an option. Are you saying you won't pay my tithing for me? My bishop wouldn't either. Clearly he doesn't love people.
I'll pay your tithing. Be sure to declare "partial" in December.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #48
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No kidding. Helping people sucks.
Nothing stops you from helping people. Just don't take my money to do it. Let me choose the ways I will help others.

It's amazing how compassionate so many people are with other people's money.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #49
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Then why promote infrastructure? Private enterprise can figure that out too. Why provide police and fire? If you can't afford police or fire, you probably don't have much to protect anyways, right?

Why provide national security? All that really does is protect property interests, and if you have property, you ought to be able to protect it on your own. Right? If you can't protect it, you shouldn't own it. Let the strong survive and the weak die.
Let the strong survive and the weak die. Now you sound like an evolutionist or an environmentalist, unless of course the strong animal is the human animal.

Oh, of course you sound like one, I forgot for a moment you are a lib.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #50
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
Nothing stops you from helping people. Just don't take my money to do it. Let me choose the ways I will help others.

It's amazing how compassionate so many people are with other people's money.
Part of living in a civilized society involves installing basic safety nets for the populace. Conservatives are always so quick to destroy those safety nets for the poor, but they love them for the rich.