cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #21
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Mrs. Clinton just doesn't like it when her opponents use her tactics against her, does she?

Obama should not have been a wimp and really gone for her throat after her shot about a "slum lord" helping to raise money for Obama's campaign. One name is all it would take: Norman Hsu.

You are correct, it will be an interesting two weeks. Here's to Obama and Mrs. Clinton attacking each other to the point that they both lose focus of the objective and Edwards winning the nomination by coming through the back door.
If Cali is correct, this could go on for another month or beyond. That would be real reality television. Riveting and entertaining. Not good for the writers out on strike.

Time to chuck Tom Brokhaw for Jerry Springer.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #22
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I disagree, and I think most Democrat commentators would as well. There were some very interesting narratives coming out of Michigan, and not really positive for Clinton, including the small 15% gap between her and "Uncommitted", and her poor showing among blacks. Imagine if she had lost.

Major network anchors may ho-hum, and the candidates themselves may not campaign there, but the vote still matters. If something other than "the expected" outcome happens ... expect it to get covered, expect it to have an influence.

It's not a "rumor." It's a rumor, and not one off Republican blogs. I'm not wagering any "karma points" on it, but it's out there and in more than one place. As I said, we'll see.

PS. I'm not claiming, by the way, that the Florida Democrat primary has the same implications as the Republican one. Just to be clear.
I am not understanding your point with regards to Florida. You indicated Obama would be in trouble because Hillary will win in Florida. You then note that it will be a factor only if something "other than the expected" occurs there. Well, she is heavily expected to win in Florida. So how will that help her, according to you, if she does? Can't Florida, with your line of argumentation, only help Obama (unless he receives almost NO votes)? Ironically, for support, you point to Michigan where Obama arguably received more publicity because Hillary only beat "uncommitted" by 16 points or so. Doesn't that support my argument that a loss in Florida won't hurt Obama at all?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
If Cali is correct, this could go on for another month or beyond. That would be real reality television. Riveting and entertaining. Not good for the writers out on strike.

Time to chuck Tom Brokhaw for Jerry Springer.
Wow - a month or more of bickering could be more than I could have hoped for. It makes me chuckle to watch Mrs. Clinton seethe when she doesn't get her way.

As a person, I like Obama. He'd be a guy with whom I think it would be fun to see a ball game - hang out at Comerica Park and taunt the Yankees.

I'm going to pull for him from the Dems - not because I want him to be President, but because of the fun it would be watching the Clintons come unglued when their sense of entitlement is ignored.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #24
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Be yourself, and let the chips fall where they may. That's what he needs to learn.
What does that mean to a politician, "be yourself"? The better ones are able to project authenticity while doing the political thing. Let's watch this week as McCain, a stick in the mud on Bush tax cuts, suddenly becomes the tax cutting king in the face of economic woes. He learned something from Michigan.

They all do it Mike, so why hold Mitt's feet to the fire? Is that you just don't like to see fellow tribe members play that game, that it somehow reflects badly on your utopian view of things?

Mitt's miscalculation was not that he changed his views but that he pandered to a voting block that would never give him full loyalty. He thought they would be able to see through his Mormoness, that they could find common ground and religion wouldn't matter. Big gamble, he lost.

A faultering economy has given him his true voice. Will it be enough?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
What does that mean to a politician, "be yourself"? The better ones are able to project authenticity while doing the political thing. Let's watch this week as McCain, a stick in the mud on Bush tax cuts, suddenly becomes the tax cutting king in the face of economic woes. He learned something from Michigan.

They all do it Mike, so why hold Mitt's feet to the fire? Is that you just don't like to see fellow tribe members play that game, that it somehow reflects badly on your utopian view of things?

Mitt's miscalculation was not that he changed his views but that he pandered to a voting block that would never give him full loyalty. He thought they would be able to see through his Mormoness, that they could find common ground and religion wouldn't matter. Big gamble, he lost.

A faultering economy has given him his true voice. Will it be enough?
well, the problem with me and Mitt, is that he has changed in ways that are 180 degrees different from my views. If you are going to change, at least have the decency to change to my positions.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #26
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If Romney loses, he has no one but himself to blame. He mislabeled himself and miscalculated. If he wins, it will be despite these poor decisions.
Agreed. He does and says some really strange things. There was a video released of him yesterday that shows him with a bunch of African-American supporters in South Carolina. As he puts his arm around one of the girls for a picture, he says "Who let the dogs out, Who, Who Who...." Sooo very awkward.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am not understanding your point with regards to Florida. You indicated Obama would be in trouble because Hillary will win in Florida.You then note that it will be a factor only if something "other than the expected" occurs there. Well, she is heavily expected to win in Florida. So how will that help her, according to you, if she does? Can't Florida, with your line of argumentation, only help Obama (unless he receives almost NO votes)? Ironically, for support, you point to Michigan where Obama arguably received more publicity because Hillary only beat "uncommitted" by 16 points or so. Doesn't that support my argument that a loss in Florida won't hurt Obama at all?
I said no such thing. *Sigh* These conversations with you never change. All I said was that it matters, in contrast to you who said it does NOT matter. This is not complicated.

If Hillary wins as expected it will boost her campaign's credentials, even if it gets only cursory media attention in the wake of the Republican contest. If Obama wins against expectations, it will likely get HUGE coverage.

It's a mystery to me how you've retreated under the "no delegates, no matter" tent.

Just for review and your short attention span:

Quote:
Who cares about Florida? It is worth 0 delegates (just like Michigan).
Quote:
As Romney and the state of Wyoming has learned, delegates are not always what counts at this stage. As you should know, perception in these early contests can have a big influence on later voters.
Quote:
Democrats aren't paying any attention at all to Florida.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Agreed. He does and says some really strange things. There was a video released of him yesterday that shows him with a bunch of African-American supporters in South Carolina. As he puts his arm around one of the girls for a picture, he says "Who let the dogs out, Who, Who Who...." Sooo very awkward.
Is it any more awkward than Mrs. Clinton and Obama and their fake southern accents when they were in Selma, Alabama?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
Cali Coug

Quote:
I said no such thing. *Sigh* These conversations with you never change. All I said was that it matters, in contrast to you who said it does NOT matter. This is not complicated.

If Hillary wins as expected it will boost her campaign's credentials, even if it gets only cursory media attention in the wake of the Republican contest. If Obama wins against expectations, it will likely get HUGE coverage.

It's a mystery to me how you've retreated under the "no delegates, no matter" tent.

Just for review and your short attention span:
I really didn't think this would be complicated.

You said:

Quote:
I think you've got Obama blinders on. I don't think grass roots can beat The Machine. Obama has trended upward lately, but I don't think he'll win Florida....
To which I responded that it doesn't matter if Hillary wins Florida, because they have no delegates (i.e., Obama losing Florida doesn't hurt him).

You then responded with:

Quote:
As Romney and the state of Wyoming has learned, delegates are not always what counts at this stage. As you should know, perception in these early contests can have a big influence on later voters.
And you went on to note that:

Quote:
Major network anchors may ho-hum, and the candidates themselves may not campaign there, but the vote still matters. If something other than "the expected" outcome happens ... expect it to get covered, expect it to have an influence.
Hillary is absolutely expected to win Florida. As you noted, that doesn't matter, unless something "unexpected" occurs. Since you brought all of this up in the context of Florida harming Obama by voting for Hillary, you must be of the opinion that Obama will do much worse in Florida than he is currently expected to do (which is to lose by double digits) (which sounds kind of crazy to me).
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #30
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Is it any more awkward than Mrs. Clinton and Obama and their fake southern accents when they were in Selma, Alabama?
Clinton's WAS quite awkward. Obama's sounded quite natural. But yes, I would say Romney's was even more awkward. It looked like a white dude trying to act like what he thought black people acted like (and missing horribly).