cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I can't name any of Hillary's accomplishments. I'm sure there is something in her record someone could think of as an accomplishment, but I am not aware of it.

at least she didn't stay home and bake cookies.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Obama's legislative accomplishments.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...s_n_87493.html
That was hard to watch, yet fun.

Frankly I wonder if we won't see a self implosion by the Obama camp when they face some real opposition. All that campaign money, his lack of real accomplishments (even in Illinois), his liberal voting record, his need for tax dollars, and his naive foreign policy approach will all be exposed and examined. The harsh light of fame isn't treating Ms. Obama all that well the last few days. Her silence in the face of criticism only speaks to their arrogance.

I find Obama boring and someone that likes the sound of his own voice. Fourty minutes last night? Give me a break. This isn't Cuba.

This is a high risk candidacy for the Dems.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
That was hard to watch, yet fun.

Frankly I wonder if we won't see a self implosion by the Obama camp when they face some real opposition. All that campaign money, his lack of real accomplishments (even in Illinois), his liberal voting record, his need for tax dollars, and his naive foreign policy approach will all be exposed and examined. The harsh light of fame isn't treating Ms. Obama all that well the last few days. Her silence in the face of criticism only speaks to their arrogance.

I find Obama boring and someone that likes the sound of his own voice. Fourty minutes last night? Give me a break. This isn't Cuba.

This is a high risk candidacy for the Dems.
And Hillary is low risk? Again, this is wishful thinking.

An 80 year old inarticulate curmudgeon against a young, articulate, inspiring visionary. It's not automatic for the curmudgeon. If anyone can sell a vision of a non-right-wing America, it's Obama.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Obama's legislative accomplishments.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...s_n_87493.html
That guy is a state senator.

Barack Obama was a state senator.

Hope is making a comeback.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Yeah. It was a close call, but the Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again.

Who in the world would have thought the GOP could hold onto the White House? It's still not a given, obviously, but the more I research Obama's legislative history, the more I realize he's got, in those immortal words, "a lot of 'splainin' to do." On the other hand, I don't think the Dems could have won with Hillary. The red voters would have turned out in droves just to keep her out.
I think you underestimate the power of flowery rhetoric and a god-like persona.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
And Hillary is low risk? Again, this is wishful thinking.

An 80 year old inarticulate curmudgeon against a young, articulate, inspiring visionary. It's not automatic for the curmudgeon. If anyone can sell a vision of a non-right-wing America, it's Obama.
Tell us again how Obama will never win Texas.

Hillary is a known factor, Obama isn't.

I never said it was automatic, indeed it is an uphill struggle. McCain is not at all likable. But I don't see Obama as invincible. The electoral college map is not his friend. Also, Obama has never faced the type of salvos he will start to face. His wife's comments are the type of thing that energizes electorates. His church will become an issue, further energizing people to vote against Obama.

I still say high risk.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-20-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Tell us again how Obama will never win Texas.

Hillary is a known factor, Obama isn't.

I never said it was automatic, indeed it is an uphill struggle. McCain is not at all likable. But I don't see Obama as invincible. The electoral college map is not his friend. Also, Obama has never faced the type of salvos he will start to face. His wife's comments are the type of thing that energize electorates. His church will become an issue, further energizing people to vote against Obama.

I still say high risk.
You think Clinton has been playing softball?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Yeah, I do. Hillary has not gone as aggressive as she could have because she still needs those Dem votes. Also they generally agree on all the issues. Such will not be the case in the GE. I think I've already listed several issues that McCain can raise that Hillary won't.

That said, I expect Hillary to go full on negative over the next primaries. Nice to soften Obama up for McCain.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Jim Geraghty had a good take on this.

Quote:
John McCain can point out that Barack Obama opposed "letting people use a self-defense argument if charged with violating local handgun bans by using weapons in their homes. The bill was a reaction to a Chicago-area man who, after shooting an intruder, was charged with a handgun violation." Hillary Clinton can’t.

John McCain can point out that Barack Obama sought to ban the sale of firearms at gun shows except for "antique" weapons. Hillary Clinton can’t.

John McCain can point out that Obama wanted to make it a felony if your gun is stolen from your residence and used in a crime, if the government determines you did not “securely store” the weapon. Hillary Clinton can’t.

John McCain can point out how Obama opposes a ban on partial birth abortion ban, and who voted against a bill that would require medical care for aborted fetuses who survive. Hillary Clinton can’t.

John McCain can point out how Obama was the only state senator to oppose a law that prohibited early prison release for sex offenders. For some reason, Hillary Clinton hasn’t.

John McCain can point out that Barack Obama has been rated the most liberal lawmaker in the U.S. Senate by National Journal. Hillary Clinton can’t.
http://campaignspot.nationalreview.c...2NlZGE3NWI2MGQ=
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The Clintons have already been floating the idea that Obama is too left-wing. The problem is that they can't make this argument without damaging themselves.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=25039
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote