cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 01:49 AM   #11
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I hadn't heard that. It's time to grab a large Coke and a bag of popcorn and enjoy the show.

Yes it is. So is brouhaha. Both are applicable.

Another fun one is hullabaloo.
I've always liked "donnybrook" they generally only use that with baseball fights though
Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 AM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It's looking like the delegate haul from yesterday was 187 Hillary, 183 Obama. In order to remain viable, Senator Clinton needed to make significant gains on Obama's 100 delegate lead. With the three state win, she says her campaign has "turned the corner," but does anyone really believe a four delegate win is enough to turn the tide? Obama had projected a month ago that he would lose both Texas and Ohio by greater margins and still head to the convention with a 100 delegate lead. He's currently well ahead of his projected timeline in garnering delegates. (He had anticipated a 60 delegate lead at this point.)

Long-term victory for Hillary is implausible at best. I feel like it would have been better for her if she'd been put out of her misery yesterday, once and for all. On the other hand, if you hate the Democrats, and want to watch them make a muddled mess of themselves, things couldn't be working out better.
Not so fast both Bill and Hillary are out there today saying that the votes form Michigan and Florida should count. Word now is that Howard Dean is going to make the rounds tomorrow on TV and float the idea of a re-vote in those two states.

Clinton is not out of this until the convention is over or she is literally dead on the ground.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Either way there will be hell to pay the losing side. A beautiful mess. Beautiful.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Either way there will be hell to pay the losing side. A beautiful mess. Beautiful.
I was watching one of the news stations this evening and they were interviewing a couple of Dem strategists, one an Obama supporter and the other Clinton. The tenacity with which they were attacking each other was indeed beautiful. I think there is a true dislike b/w the two camps, even worse than the R's and Romney. To think, we may get to see this throughout the summer!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I was watching one of the news stations this evening and they were interviewing a couple of Dem strategists, one an Obama supporter and the other Clinton. The tenacity with which they were attacking each other was indeed beautiful. I think there is a true dislike b/w the two camps, even worse than the R's and Romney. To think, we may get to see this throughout the summer!
Cali, Ma'ake, Adam, Sooner have been strangely muted. I bet they're in shock. This thing has been going per script for the Republicans.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 03-06-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #16
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Obama seemed pissed last night, genuinely pissed. He's a little off his game again.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Obama seemed pissed last night, genuinely pissed. He's a little off his game again.
I'm sure he'll bounce back, but people are starting to notice his wife. She's a very intelligent woman who says some incredibly dumb things. Not quite Theresa Heinz-Kerry dumb, but she certainly demonstrates a disconnect with the average voter. He needs to make sure she doesn't become too much of a distraction.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #18
myboynoah

Quote:
I'm sure he'll bounce back, but people are starting to notice his wife. She's a very intelligent woman who says some incredibly dumb things. Not quite Theresa Heinz-Kerry dumb, but she certainly demonstrates a disconnect with the average voter. He needs to make sure she doesn't become too much of a distraction.
It's a heady thing to be hugging Oprah on one side and Maria Shriver on the other. Gives one a sense of invincibility and makes one open up a bit too much.

I wonder about Obama; I wonder if this isn't a bit of a high water mark. He had the chance to slam the door shut but couldn't do it. He's no longer bullet-proof and Clinton has found that pushing the experience issue works (no matter what Cali says). We're going to find out if there is anything beyond the speeches and euphoria. I hope everyone has plenty of popcorn.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #19
SeattleUte

Quote:
The perfect outcome would be for the losing side to have grounds to believe it was homered, absolutely ripped off by an inside deal. The democratic party head on NPR tonight said this Florida/Michigan problem could literally rip the party into two pieces. They can't do anything to count those delegates and not be changing the rules mid-stream. The other option is to totally disenfranchise two huge states. I hate this whole rigged primary process and am loving their misery. They made their own hell.

Remind me who won Michigan.

—Paul Auster
Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 AM   #20
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The perfect outcome would be for the losing side to have grounds to believe it was homered, absolutely ripped off by an inside deal. The democratic party head on NPR tonight said this Florida/Michigan problem could literally rip the party into two pieces. They can't do anything to count those delegates and not be changing the rules mid-stream. The other option is to totally disenfranchise two huge states. I hate this whole rigged primary process and am loving their misery. They made their own hell.

Remind me who won Michigan.
Romney.

Hillary beat uncommitted. I think she got 51-52%.

I get the sense that Clinton is dead set on finding a way to somehow count Florida and Michigan. Two June primaries may be the answer. Wouldn't that be great? Crist is doing McCain a great favor by saying Florida would be happy to hold another one.