cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Illegals don't need health insurance. They can get free medical care at any ER.

We should remove them from the equation.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Health insurance is a moral issue?
YES! Who helps pay for the medical costs of the unfortunate in your respective Ward? YOU DO, if you pay fast offerings. I'm sorry, but you cannot dissect this issue in the hopes that you can support comfortable rationalizations!

"As of 2006, 15% of Americans (43.6 million) without any health insurance"
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
It is my opinion that malpractice suits are the major problem here. If not for these suits, health care would be a lot less expensive, and therefore people could afford it much more readily.
I agree -it is a major part of the problem.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I live in a country with socialized medicine. I am a proponent. I am laughing at the '85% of the increase'.

I have posted on this subject many times before ... how can a country that considers itself (through the exertion of political and military might) the moral centre of the universe have MILLIONS of it's citizens uninsured?
I would argue that healthcare reform is a political/economic issue rather than a moral one. If we were letting people die in the streets, that's a moral issue. Despite what some would have you believe, this isn't happening--or at least, we're doing our best to prevent it. Medicaid is the best emergency care insurance in the world.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
YES! Who helps pay for the medical costs of the unfortunate in your respective Ward? YOU DO, if you pay fast offerings. I'm sorry, but you cannot dissect this issue in the hopes that you can support comfortable rationalizations!

"As of 2006, 15% of Americans (43.6 million) without any health insurance"
LINK! Do a search on this site in the political forum -you will find lot's of posts by many people and many links to many stats.

Last edited by tooblue; 04-03-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I would argue that healthcare reform is a political/economic issue rather than a moral one. If we were letting people die in the streets, that's a moral issue. Despite what some would have you believe, this isn't happening--or at least, we're doing our best to prevent it. Medicaid is the best emergency care insurance in the world.
There have been links to stories in this ongoing discussion that proves people literally are being left to die because a lack of coverage.

Ask Mike for the links. It is first and foremost a moral issue.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I know damn well what it said. If you're worrying about why the number of uninsureds are on the rise, there's your biggest culprit by far.
Not actually ... actually look into it beyond the article ... what you might find will surprise you. What you are espousing is an excuse -you have your head in the sand.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
It is my opinion that malpractice suits are the major problem here. If not for these suits, health care would be a lot less expensive, and therefore people could afford it much more readily.

ON my most recent plane flight I sat next to an ER dcotor for the Kaiser system. As I am a lawyer, we almost inevitbaly ended up discussing malpractice suits and their implications. Ay one point he asked me if I knew the biggest cause of malpractice suits. I rolled my eyes and said something like "greedy lawyers?" He said "Nope. Malpractice."

He was a very nice guy, actually, and his biggest gripe was not the outcome of these types of suits, but the unpredictability of the result.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #19
ERCougar

Quote:
There have been links to stories in this ongoing discussion that proves people literally are being left to die because a lack of coverage.

Ask Mike for the links. It is first and foremost a moral issue.
Yeah, that would be wrong. Medicaid patients in this country have far better access to advanced technology in the emergency room than in any other country. Furthermore, it's illegal for an emergency room to deny care based on inability to pay. But it DOES make a good story.

Now if you're making an argument that their lack of preventive care is causing unneeded deaths, you may have a case. But the uncontrolled diabetic who eventually has an MI and dies isn't quite so newsworthy or exciting, although this is likely a much larger contributor to mortality.

Why do they lack preventative care? Well, that's a little trickier than just lack of insurance. The poor actually have access to Medicaid, but many are amazingly unwilling to make a phone call or visit the office to fill out the paperwork. Most primary care doctors take Medicaid, and most essential medicines are paid for by Medicaid. I guess we could fill out their paperwork for them too. On second thought, social workers often already do this. Maybe we need to wipe their butt...

Healthcare reform would do more for the lower-middle class than the lower classes.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
ON my most recent plane flight I sat next to an ER dcotor for the Kaiser system. As I am a lawyer, we almost inevitbaly ended up discussing malpractice suits and their implications. Ay one point he asked me if I knew the biggest cause of malpractice suits. I rolled my eyes and said something like "greedy lawyers?" He said "Nope. Malpractice."

He was a very nice guy, actually, and his biggest gripe was not the outcome of these types of suits, but the unpredictability of the result.
I suspect he said that because he was talking to a lawyer and didn't want an awkward plane ride.

In reality, it's a combination of factors. Do you really think doctors in Louisiana are far worse than the doctors in Texas?