cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Exactly. We are not being fair.
Does that mean he can condemn "God damned America" in five languages?

So here's what I've found according to Wikipedia:

Quote:
From 1959 to 1961, Wright attended Virginia Union University,[1] in Richmond. Inspired by President John F. Kennedy's 1961 challenge to "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," Wright gave up his student deferment, left college and joined the United States Marine Corps and became part of the 2nd Marine Division with the rank of private first class. In 1963, after two years of service, Wright then transferred to the United States Navy and entered the Corpsman School at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, where he graduated as valedictorian.[9] Having excelled in corpsman school, Wright was then trained as a cardiopulmonary technician at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland where he graduated as salutatorian.[9] Wright was assigned as part of the medical team charged with care of President Lyndon B. Johnson (see photo of Wright caring for Johnson after his 1966 surgery). Before leaving the position in 1967, the White House awarded Wright three letters of commendation.[10][11][12]
In 1967 Wright enrolled at Howard University in Washington, D.C., where he earned a bachelor's degree in 1968 and a master’s degree in English in 1969. He also earned a master's degree from the University of Chicago Divinity School.[9] Wright holds a Doctor of Ministry degree (1990) from the United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio, where he studied under Samuel DeWitt Proctor, a mentor to Martin Luther King.[13]
No mention of his study of language.

His lists of works doesn't seem to make him a New Testament scholar, but I could be missing something. He appears to be more of a "black" activist than a traditional theologian in the classical sense.

Quote:
Works
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr. and Jini Kilgore Ross, What Makes You So Strong?: Sermons of Joy and Strength from Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr., Judson Press, November 1993, ISBN 978-0817011987
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr. and Colleen Birchett, Africans Who Shaped Our Faith (Student Guide), Urban Ministries, Inc., May 1995, ISBN 978-0940955295
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr. and Jini Kilgore Ross, Good News!: Sermons of Hope for Today's Families, Judson Press, December 1995, ISBN 978-0817012366
  • William J. Key, Robert Johnson Smith, Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr. and Robert Johnson-Smith, From One Brother to Another: Voices of African American Men, Judson Press, October 1996, ISBN 978-0817012502
  • Jawanza Kunjufu and Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright, Jr., Adam! Where Are You?: Why Most Black Men Don't Go to Church, African American Images, June 1997, ISBN 978-0913543436 (also African American Images, 1994, ISBN B000T6LXPQ)
  • Frank Madison Reid, III, Jeremiah Wright Jr. and Colleen Birchett, When Black Men Stand Up for God: Reflections on the Million Man March, African American Images, December 1997, ISBN 978-0913543481
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr., What Can Happen When We Pray: A Daily Devotional, Augsburg Fortress Publishers, June 2002, ISBN 978-0806634067
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr., From One Brother To Another, Volume 2: Voices of African American Men , Judson Press, January 2003, ISBN 978-0817013622
  • Iva E. Carruthers (Editor), Frederick D. Haynes III (Editor), Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. (Editor), Blow the Trumpet in Zion!: Global Vision and Action for the 21st Century Black Church, Augsburg Fortress Publishers, January 2005, ISBN 978-0800637125
  • Ernest R. Flores and Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., Tempted to Leave the Cross: Renewing the Call to Discipleship, Judson Press, November 2007, ISBN 978-0817015244
  • Wright, Jeremiah A, Jr. (2004), "Doing black theology in the black church", p 13-23, 213-214. In Linda E. Thomas (Ed.), Living Stones in the Household of God: The Legacy and Future of Black Theology, Minneapolis: Fortress. ISBN 0-8006-3627-9
  • Wright, Jeremiah. "Here I am, send me". In Awakened to a calling: reflections on the vocation of ministry, Ann M. Svennungsen and Melissa Wiginton (Eds.), Nashville: Abingdon Press, c2005. ISBN 0687053900
  • Wright, Jeremiah. "In the lord's house, on the Lord's day". In Awakened to a calling: reflections on the vocation of ministry, Ann M. Svennungsen and Melissa Wiginton (Eds.), Nashville: Abingdon Press, c2005. ISBN 0687053900
  • Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr., "Music as Cultural Expression in Black Church Theology and Worship," Journal of Black Sacred Music 3, 1 (1) (Spring 1989).
Wright has written several books and is featured on Wynton Marsalis's album The Majesty of the Blues, where he recites a spoken word piece written by Stanley Crouch, and on the Odyssey Channel series Great Preachers.[50][51]

Last edited by Archaea; 04-29-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #12
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Show me his stuff so that I can judge. I've been reading enough theology to see who is good and who is caca. That doesn't mean I'm a theologian, but it does mean I'm getting to the point of spotting the quacks.

"Liberation" theology sounds wacky.

Five whole languages? That depends upon level of fluency and understanding. When will English be one of his languages?
I'm not that interested in that stuff but there's a couple of chapters on liberation theology in Paulsen's new book.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I'm not that interested in that stuff but there's a couple of chapters on liberation theology in Paulsen's new book.
Is it that Marxist stuff from Jean Bertrand Aristide?

So Obama's chief personal advisor for the past twenty years is a Marxist?! Great. Just what we need in the White House, an anti-American Marxist.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 AM   #14
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Does that mean he can condemn "God damned America" in five languages?

So here's what I've found according to Wikipedia:

No mention of his study of language.

His lists of works doesn't seem to make him a New Testament scholar, but I could be missing something. He appears to be more of a "black" activist than a traditional theologian in the classical sense.
You seem to read select topics instead of textbooks, that's why you miss out on something as basic as liberation theology. It's in Raymond Brown's NT intro, it's in Paulsen's book, it's in Brugeerman OT theology intro.

A Div degree is more a professional degree, but these are the language reqs at this alma mater.

http://divinity.uchicago.edu/degree/...shtml#language

Here is mention of Wright's languages:
http://cbs3.com/topstories/wright.bl....2.710109.html
Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Liberation theology is really nothing more than using the pulpit to spew political hatred and get a congregation pissed off.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Here is mention of Wright's languages:
http://cbs3.com/topstories/wright.bl....2.710109.html
What languages does he speak? That only says that he speaks 5 languages but doesn't list them.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 AM   #17
Archaea

somebody else:

Quote:
The Rev. Wendell Anthony, president of the Detroit branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, stirred the crowd with an animated introduction to Wright. He let the audience know, among other things, that Wright speaks five languages and is an Egyptologist, writer, author, family man and "innovator and sustainer of the word of God."
Well somebody could say that about me, and it wouldn't be true. I imagine I could go on JSTOR and not find him among the Egyptologists. He seems to be a professional liberationists, or Marxist grooming politicians.

What little I've read sounds more like politics than classical theology. He doesn't even sound like a counselor that many professional clergy become.

No wonder Obama would be attracted to a Marxist politician instead of a true clergyman.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
What languages does he speak? That only says that he speaks 5 languages but doesn't list them.
Well they might mean since he's a world renowned Egyptologist that Egyptian is one, although typically most don't consider deciphering Egyptian as speaking it. I deciphered a few lines from the Book of the Dead, does that mean I speak it? Of course not.

I've read a bit of ancient Greek, but do I have any certifications a la Solon or Chapel Hill? Of course not, and so forth.

To truly master and speak another language can require a lifetime of study and devotion. To master five can be done, if one stays within the Romance languages and adds a Germanic language.

However, try mastering a Germanic, a couple of Romance, some Semitic languages, and some Asian languages and the brain goes almost haywire.

Given the fact that Pastor Wright toured with wacko Louis and Ghadafi, one might imagine he's studied Arabic. In light of his Marxist tendencies, loathing of America, would you be surprised if he didn't study Arabic, Russian, Korean and some others?

The Chicago Divinity School doesn't specify which languages are necessary for nonbiblical studies, only that Greek and Hebrew are required for studies of biblical studies.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-29-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:35 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Well they might mean since he's a world renowned Egyptologist that Egyptian is one, although typically most don't consider deciphering Egyptian as speaking it. I deciphered a few lines from the Book of the Dead, does that mean I speak it? Of course not.

I've read a bit of ancient Greek, but do I have any certifications a la Solon or Chapel Hill? Of course not, and so forth.

To truly master and speak another language can require a lifetime of study and devotion. To master five can be done, if one stays within the Romance languages and adds a Germanic language.

However, try mastering a Germanic, a couple of Romance, some Semitic languages, and some Asian languages and the brain goes almost haywire.

Given the fact that Pastor Wright toured with wacko Louis and Ghadafi, one might imagine he's studied Arabic. In light of his Marxist tendencies, loathing of America, would you be surprised if he didn't study Arabic, Russian, Korean and some others?
I'm actually going to give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to Pig-Latin. So there's one.

Your comment about Egyptian reminds me about the time I was introduced to an opera diva back in my school days. She claimed that she spoke 4 foreign languages - Italian, French, Spanish and German. So I started to speak Italian to her and she had a blank Homer Simpson stare on her face. When I asked her what the problem was, she said she had no idea what I was saying. I told her it was Italian and she then said that the only Italian she spoke was the Italian sung in operas.

LOL!

She was good at memorizing the Italian words to operas, but didn't speak it. Perhaps that's the good Reverend's idea of speaking a language?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm actually going to give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to Pig-Latin. So there's one.

Your comment about Egyptian reminds me about the time I was introduced to an opera diva back in my school days. She claimed that she spoke 4 foreign languages - Italian, French, Spanish and German. So I started to speak Italian to her and she had a blank Homer Simpson stare on her face. When I asked her what the problem was, she said she had no idea what I was saying. I told her it was Italian and she then said that the only Italian she spoke was the Italian sung in operas.

LOL!

She was good at memorizing the Italian words to operas, but didn't speak it. Perhaps that's the good Reverend's idea of speaking a language?
And I reviewed his Divinity School's requirements. It merely requires a High Pass on linguistic proficiency. If you know anything about grad schools and their requirements for proficiency, it really is a joke.

You have some gifted such as Solon or AA, or Babs, who can truly amaze you. On the other hand, I've met many a grad student who had "passed" their proficiency exam in German and in French, only to suck a hundred times worse than I. Needless to say I was unimpressed.

Of course, too few enjoy linguistic acquisition and mastery. It's a process not something certified by high pass in proficiency. It's a labor of love. Sadly I don't believe I'll ever gain any mastery in any of them.

Mastering grammar, syntax, accent, music, literature, delivery, cultural knowledge and appearance requires so much intensity, one would have little time for anything else. I remember listening to one missionary being jealous of his accent and Satzbetonung, only to be dazzled by another's vocabulary and yet another's knowledge of culture. IOW, I had little and everybody had a lot. I felt like Salieri, or whatever his name is or was.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-29-2008 at 04:44 AM.