cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I know that over the years we have heard many times about attacks that have been thwarted. We have also heard from the left that our presence in the Middle East has made the likelihood of attack dramatically higher, and they are right about this. I don't get the sense that Homeland Security the FBI and the CIA have been sitting around for the last seven years saying, geeze, thanks for the bigger budget but there just isn't really that much for us to do.

The argument you are making is like saying, you know I'm not really aware of anyone having tried to break into my house so I really got screwed when they convinced me to buy locks for the doors.

As for Obama, if he continues polices that are calculated to keep us safe, then he is entitled for credit when we remain safe. I don't think that you can credit a president too much or blame him much for anything at the end of his first month, but at the end of the first 6 months is a different story. I guess I'm just not sure how you are developing the notion that there just hasn't really been any true threat we have been combating domestically. I know that my friends in federal law enforcement tell me otherwise.
I can see your confusion with my inartful nature.

let me clarify...I am not saying W has done nothing to keep our country safe.

I am saying that, when compared to what all our other presidents have done, I dont think he has accomplished anything extraordinary that would merit special praise.

Just because he formed a cabinet position for Homeland Security doesnt mean Al Qaeda was ready to attack us again.

Your example of door locks....I can easily say that just because you put locks on your doors doesn't mean that someone was going to break into your house. I do not deny that having locks on your door provides a measure of comfort, though.

Kind of like all the gun nuts who have a gun next to their bed to protect their family from a non-existant attacker who, statistically speaking, will never come.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Kind of like all the gun nuts who have a gun next to their bed to protect their family from a non-existant attacker who, statistically speaking, will never come.
Says the rich white guy who wears vaseline-lined gloves.

Unfortunately, for some neighborhoods, crime, robbery and assault are common occurrences.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #43
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I may be old school. I have always thought growing up and have never changed my mind that the best way to keep someone from bothering you is to have them scared as hades of you and what you might do.

Now, I will agree if you have folks who don't worry about dieing, that attitude might be useless. Of course I don't know how you deal with people who don't worry about dieing.
Again, 71, I agree. And I think that this has generally been our posture in the world..."Mess with best, die like the rest." I am fine with that.

Bush bombing Iraq probably scared people. Capturing Saddam impressed everyone.

Bush wiretapping phones and asking Tom Ridge to head up Homeland Security probably scared nobody.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #44
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I am saying that, when compared to what all our other presidents have done, I dont think he has accomplished anything extraordinary that would merit special praise.

Just because he formed a cabinet position for Homeland Security doesnt mean Al Qaeda was ready to attack us again.

Your example of door locks....I can easily say that just because you put locks on your doors doesn't mean that someone was going to break into your house. I do not deny that having locks on your door provides a measure of comfort, though.

I'm not confused, I do understand what you are saying. I just don't know what evidence leads you to that conclusion.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #45
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Do you buy into anyone's argument that terrorist governments who sponsor terror might be nervous about the kind of reaction they would get from a Bush if we got attacked by terrorists, even if they weren't their terrorists.

I guess to buy that argument though you would also have to think the terrorists paid attention to what the state sponsors of terrorists thought.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #46
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Unfortunately, for some neighborhoods, crime, robbery and assault are common occurrences.

The truth is, I am pretty statistically unlikely to die before my kids are out of the house. I think I'm going to go cancel my life insurance.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #47
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

How many times have you had to use your gun to protect your family....errrrrr.....and your property, Senor Castle Doctrine?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #48
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
The truth is, I am pretty statistically unlikely to die before my kids are out of the house. I think I'm going to go cancel my life insurance.
Why? Doesnt having life insurance protect you from death?

tihs is an easy game to play, so keep them coming.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #49
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How many times have you had to use your gun to protect your family....errrrrr.....and your property, Senor Castle Doctrine?
Have you had to use your life insurance policy yet? Why keep paying premiums?

P.S. I don't own a gun, but I do lock my doors.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #50
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Do you buy into anyone's argument that terrorist governments who sponsor terror might be nervous about the kind of reaction they would get from a Bush if we got attacked by terrorists, even if they weren't their terrorists.

I guess to buy that argument though you would also have to think the terrorists paid attention to what the state sponsors of terrorists thought.
NOt really.

All the 9/11 attackers were Saudis.

We invaded Afghanistan. Then, when we couldn't get Osama, we went into Iraq.

When are we going to invade Saudi Arabia? They are probably terrified of us.