cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Proposition 8 take a break..we can reach our destination..but we're still a ways away

Well, the shiz is going to hit the fan soon...or at least it will get interesting.

Today I returned to our ward after missing last Sunday due to our vacation. I think I have mentioned here before that I teach the Priests during the 3rd hour. As expected, the Bishop also attends our class.

Since most kids were away on vacation this past week, there were only 2 priests in class today. We had some time to chat and I asked the Bishop about the "letter." I had initially been told that the letter had not been read in our ward, but the Bishop confirmed to me that he DID read the letter last Sunday.

I asked him why some wards read it last week, some did not, and some wards read it a few weeks ago.....inquiring as to whether the FP gives SPs and local leadership some discretion in reading these things.

He assured me that it was to be statewide last Sunday. He then busted out the cover letter that went with the actual "letter" that we have all seen here. His cover letter clearly stated that all Bishops were to read the letter on June 29.

Of more interest.....the events to come between now and Election Tuesday.

The Bishop said that the SP has instructed all Bishops in our stake of the following:

1. Over the next month or so (as early as next week for our ward), SPs, Stake HCs, and Bishoprics will be giving Sacrament talks focused on The Proclamation and other family topics. This will not be a 1-time Sunday event, but rather a common theme over several Sundays for the next few months...until the election.
2. Members of the Bishopric/Stake HC will be visiting some families asking them for donations. Bishop said that the Church has asked SPs to refrain from asking for donations from the pulpit or really during Church at all (political neutrality...). Bishop said not every family will be asked. I didnt asked what the criteria was, but my guess is that the older, wealthy families will be the ones asked to contribute.
3. As of now, there is no mandate for door-to-door campaigns, but the SP said that it was not definitely still possible.
4. We will also be encouraged to place anti-Prop 8 signs on our lawns.
5. The mantra for this movement is not "anti-gay," but "pro-family."

I asked the Bishop what would happen if he went to a family's home and they refused to donate or go door to door. The Bishop responded that it was "[our] job to help these families understand the seriousness of this issue." I didnt push him for the scenario in which the family does not agree with the seriousness of this issue because we were in front of the 2 priests and I didnt think it was the right time to go into all of that.

This is a very interesting position for me because I have never really "opposed" anything in the Church before. The last time this issue was raised in California, our ward was not asked to go door to door, so I only heard the letter read in Sacrament meeting. I didnt have to or refrain from anything because there was no individual accountability. It seems that this time, the Bishopric may come into my home and talk to me face to face.

I might need to borrow a gun from one of you guys to protect myself from the righteous indignation that will accompany the visit.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with all that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Well, the shiz is going to hit the fan soon...or at least it will get interesting.

Today I returned to our ward after missing last Sunday due to our vacation. I think I have mentioned here before that I teach the Priests during the 3rd hour. As expected, the Bishop also attends our class.

Since most kids were away on vacation this past week, there were only 2 priests in class today. We had some time to chat and I asked the Bishop about the "letter." I had initially been told that the letter had not been read in our ward, but the Bishop confirmed to me that he DID read the letter last Sunday.

I asked him why some wards read it last week, some did not, and some wards read it a few weeks ago.....inquiring as to whether the FP gives SPs and local leadership some discretion in reading these things.

He assured me that it was to be statewide last Sunday. He then busted out the cover letter that went with the actual "letter" that we have all seen here. His cover letter clearly stated that all Bishops were to read the letter on June 29.

Of more interest.....the events to come between now and Election Tuesday.

The Bishop said that the SP has instructed all Bishops in our stake of the following:

1. Over the next month or so (as early as next week for our ward), SPs, Stake HCs, and Bishoprics will be giving Sacrament talks focused on The Proclamation and other family topics. This will not be a 1-time Sunday event, but rather a common theme over several Sundays for the next few months...until the election.
2. Members of the Bishopric/Stake HC will be visiting some families asking them for donations. Bishop said that the Church has asked SPs to refrain from asking for donations from the pulpit or really during Church at all (political neutrality...). Bishop said not every family will be asked. I didnt asked what the criteria was, but my guess is that the older, wealthy families will be the ones asked to contribute.
3. As of now, there is no mandate for door-to-door campaigns, but the SP said that it was not definitely still possible.
4. We will also be encouraged to place anti-Prop 8 signs on our lawns.
5. The mantra for this movement is not "anti-gay," but "pro-family."

I asked the Bishop what would happen if he went to a family's home and they refused to donate or go door to door. The Bishop responded that it was "[our] job to help these families understand the seriousness of this issue." I didnt push him for the scenario in which the family does not agree with the seriousness of this issue because we were in front of the 2 priests and I didnt think it was the right time to go into all of that.

This is a very interesting position for me because I have never really "opposed" anything in the Church before. The last time this issue was raised in California, our ward was not asked to go door to door, so I only heard the letter read in Sacrament meeting. I didnt have to or refrain from anything because there was no individual accountability. It seems that this time, the Bishopric may come into my home and talk to me face to face.

I might need to borrow a gun from one of you guys to protect myself from the righteous indignation that will accompany the visit.
Go out with some hookers and give your bishop something else to be concerned with.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Good luck with all that.
I just read on CB in an FO post that in PEC today, this CBer was shown the donation slip the is specifically for Prop 8......min donation $50, max $5,000....Bishopric instructed to ask families to give all they can give.

Each slip has a space for ward and stake designations, so all donations will be tracked.

I may fill out a slip and put "zero" on the form....civil disobedience-style.

I really wish the Church would truly stay politically neutral. It is putting a lot of people in an awkward position unnecessarily.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Go out with some hookers and give your bishop something else to be concerned with.
Similar to all of you, my Bishop has built up an immunity to my hijinks.

This whole thing makes me a bit sad. a week or so ago, mikewaters linked a proposed bit of legislation aimed at helping children of immigrants....why dont we get involved in something like that? Something more uplifting for the community that helps instead of divides?

As I was driving home this morning from Vegas, I kept thinking about the irony of our aggressive shift towards legislating morality....when until recently, there was still an Extermination Order on the books in Missouri...the direct result of local government mandating against things they though were weird, but were not really doing them any harm.

Can we just please leave gay people alone? Let's show them the same compassion in our legislation that Utah lawmakers we were recently asked to show illegal immigrants. Sheesh.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I just read on CB in an FO post that in PEC today, this CBer was shown the donation slip the is specifically for Prop 8......min donation $50, max $5,000....Bishopric instructed to ask families to give all they can give.

Each slip has a space for ward and stake designations, so all donations will be tracked.

I may fill out a slip and put "zero" on the form....civil disobedience-style.

I really wish the Church would truly stay politically neutral. It is putting a lot of people in an awkward position unnecessarily.
odd that this is the battle cry for Monson's era. I wonder if this is Monson or Eyring.

What chances are it that the Proposition will be adopted?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

all you have to say is "I've prayed about it, and I'm unable to support it at this time."

Or, "I'm against gay marriage, but what I'm more against is a constitutional amendment prohibiting it." Then grab a folder full hundreds of pages of print-outs and say, "I'd be happy to discuss the legal, moral, and spiritual underpinnings of this."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
odd that this is the battle cry for Monson's era. I wonder if this is Monson or Eyring.

What chances are it that the Proposition will be adopted?
I am guessing that it will pass, but solely based on the fact that the last vote passed overwhelmingly. Admittedly, not scientific, but a fair barometer. The last vote was when.....about 5 years ago? I wonder if attitudes have shifted since then?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
Archaea

Triplett, this is brilliant.

By refusing to participate, you're excluding yourself from more time-consuming callings. Brilliant.

Il Padrino and I should be so proud at your laxity.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Triplett, this is brilliant.

By refusing to participate, you're excluding yourself from more time-consuming callings. Brilliant.

Il Padrino and I should be so proud at your laxity.
I suppose you are right.

There go my dreams of ever being an Area Authority.