cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default The disproportionate tax burden

Via Powerline:

Quote:
Stephen Moore previews the most recent data in today's Wall Street Journal: "My contacts at the Treasury Department tell me that for the first time in decades, and perhaps ever, the richest 1% of tax filers will have paid more than 40% of the income tax burden. The top 50% will account for 97% of all federal income taxes, while the bottom 50% will have paid just 3%." Moore's preview does not include the companion income data.
The main reason Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich is because no one else is even paying them.

Oh, and if you pay taxes ... you're rich. Go figure.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../07/020953.php

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do the rich keep getting richer, and the middle class is stagnant? Because of market forces, or because of a system set up by the govt. that rewards the already rich?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Why do the rich keep getting richer, and the middle class is stagnant? Because of market forces, or because of a system set up by the govt. that rewards the already rich?
I'm curious--how does the tax code reward the rich? What other aspects of the "system set up by the govt." are you talking about?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've heard that society is becoming increasingly disparate between the haves and have nots, and that the middle class real income is completely stagnant, while the rich are growing in income leaps and bounds.

My question is "why now"?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Simple. Compound interest. Assume a 3% across-the-board cost of living increase regardless of salary level.

2001: A makes $25K, B makes $250K; a difference of $225K
2020: A makes $45,150, B makes $451,500; a difference of $406,350

Furthermore, the rich have a better understanding of money management and more disposable income to invest in more aggressive portfolios that yield a higher rate of return.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just as an aside, the salary for my job where I work has been stagnant for about 10 years I believe.

Every year, we are poorer. (eventually you get promoted to another higher benchline, and get poorer every year after that because of no COL increases).

Interestingly, the VA is looking to hire A LOT of psychiatrists because of the huge number of mentally ill soldiers returning from overseas. From my vantage point, a tough sell became even tougher. I don't think they have raised their pay, and they are expecting guys to come it at 50-65% of private practice salary. And they wonder why positions are unfilled.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've heard that society is becoming increasingly disparate between the haves and have nots, and that the middle class real income is completely stagnant, while the rich are growing in income leaps and bounds.

My question is "why now"?
Because we're moving from republic to empire. Much like the ever warming and cooling earth it's a natural process and nothing to be alarmed about.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just as an aside, the salary for my job where I work has been stagnant for about 10 years I believe.

Every year, we are poorer. (eventually you get promoted to another higher benchline, and get poorer every year after that because of no COL increases).

Interestingly, the VA is looking to hire A LOT of psychiatrists because of the huge number of mentally ill soldiers returning from overseas. From my vantage point, a tough sell became even tougher. I don't think they have raised their pay, and they are expecting guys to come it at 50-65% of private practice salary. And they wonder why positions are unfilled.
At some point, supply and demand is bound to work in your favor.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
At some point, supply and demand is bound to work in your favor.
I agree.

Look at this, it's even worse than I thought. VAs trying to hire psychiatrists at 93k a year.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsear...q=Psychiatrist
Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This is really simple. Income disparity is increasing. The rich are getting so much richer then everyone else that the share of tax they pay is proportionally going up.

This is not a good thing for America.
I don't believe it.

What it does illustrate, however, is that one reason the bottom 50% don't get a lot of tax relief is because they aren't paying any to begin with. This is why we disguise welfare in the form of "tax credits" these days (EITC).

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote