cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default McCain committed political malpractice.

If the reports are true from Fox News (it would be a first), on top of everything else we have already heard about Palin's total ignorance of life outside of Alaska, she also didn't know Africa was a continent and didn't know the names of the nations of North America (shocking, particularly given that she bordered one of them and was a state of another, needing just one more to get the answer right!).

To select Palin knowing as little about her as McCain knew, and then to continue on with her on the ticket, knowing full well that she was totally incompetent to be vice-president, let alone president, is an act of political malpractice. What happened to the guy who would "put his country first, even if it costs him an election?" That sure isn't what seems to have happened with Palin, assuming Fox isn't just making stuff up again.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Cali, maybe you didn't realize it, but your guy won. Congratulations! Move forward and enact your agenda!

Stop parading around like such a preening jerk.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
If the reports are true from Fox News (it would be a first), on top of everything else we have already heard about Palin's total ignorance of life outside of Alaska, she also didn't know Africa was a continent and didn't know the names of the nations of North America (shocking, particularly given that she bordered one of them and was a state of another, needing just one more to get the answer right!).

To select Palin knowing as little about her as McCain knew, and then to continue on with her on the ticket, knowing full well that she was totally incompetent to be vice-president, let alone president, is an act of political malpractice. What happened to the guy who would "put his country first, even if it costs him an election?" That sure isn't what seems to have happened with Palin, assuming Fox isn't just making stuff up again.
this is the most puzzling post I've ever read from you....

Do you honestly believe she doesnt know the names of Canada, US and Mexico?

Do you honestly believe she doesnt know that Africa is a continent?

I'm not big on sara palin but I know bullshit when I see it.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I rather agree with Tex.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
this is the most puzzling post I've ever read from you....

Do you honestly believe she doesnt know the names of Canada, US and Mexico?

Do you honestly believe she doesnt know that Africa is a continent?

I'm not big on sara palin but I know bullshit when I see it.
This was reported on Fox News. That doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but I got the idea that the reporter thought "Well now that the election is over I'll go ahead and report this."

Some people know NOTHING about geography. Give them a map of the United States and they can only fill in about 10 states. Their brains just don't work well for that type of thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Palin didn't know the names of the continents or the location of countries.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I rather agree with Tex.
Cali is simply getting a jumpstart on the 2012 Primaries!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my hell, leave her alone.

You won, remember?

She never asked to be the VP candidate, she was chosen and answered a call to serve. All of this garbage coming out is from McCain workers who got their butts kicked and are just trying to cover their ass so they can get a job in 4 years. All this kind of crap does is give good people even more reason to stay the hell out of politics. But maybe that's what you want.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
She never asked to be the VP candidate, she was chosen and answered a call to serve.
Oh, now that's just silly. She's one of the most ambitious people I've ever seen.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Oh, now that's just silly. She's one of the most ambitious people I've ever seen.
Look, I'm not saying Palin is without fault. Her shopping sprees were embarrassing, given the way she had portrayed herself, and she did not come of well in her Couric interviews. I just don't remember her ever campaigning to become the VP choice before she was chosen, and she certainly didn't deserve to be treated the way she was subsequent to her selection.

And sorry, I don't believe that she can't name the countries of North America.

I realize we're only two days past the election, but Sarah has gone back to the boonies, far from where she can ever harm anyone, so why continue to trash her?
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

* She couldn't answer which countries are in NAFTA - charitably, it could be that she hesitated not knowing if there were non-NA nations involved.

* Didn't know Africa was not actually a country, but a continent - somewhat understandable (from a generic Joe Sixpack perspective) given that there is a nation called "South Africa" (thus implying there my be a nation called "Africa", like Virginia & West Virginia).

* Refused preparation for Couric & Gibson interviews

* Threw tantrums at bad press clippings

I agree with Tex, somewhat. This is water under the bridge. But to the extent Palin might come back in 4 years as a GOP favorite, it's interesting & instructive to know some of her personality revealed from behind the curtain. She seems much like Bush II in terms of lack of general curiosity, certainly seems to have the ego to think she can charm her way through, doesn't have to prepare. Congruence with the "Diva" tag leaked from McCain campaign insiders.

At the heart, this is the "anti-intellectualism" concern expressed by some thoughtful conservatives at where the GOP is headed.

It will be interesting to see where the Palin movement goes.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote