cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Bring on the pork ...

Republicans release a list of pork in the "stimulus" bill. Take a look and tell me if you think any of these are legit:

Quote:
• $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.

• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.

• $650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.

• $88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship).

• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.

• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.

• $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.

• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD's.

• $1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.

• $125 million for the Washington sewer system.

• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.

• $1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.

• $75 million for "smoking cessation activities."

• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.

• $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.

• $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.

• $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.

• $10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.

• $6 billion to turn federal buildings into "green" buildings.

• $500 million for state and local fire stations.

• $650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.

• $1.2 billion for "youth activities," including youth summer job programs.

• $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.

• $412 million for CDC buildings and property.

• $500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.

• $160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service.

• $5.5 million for "energy efficiency initiatives" at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.

• $850 million for Amtrak.

• $100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.

• $75 million to construct a "security training" facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.

• $110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.

• $200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Republicans release a list of pork in the "stimulus" bill. Take a look and tell me if you think any of these are legit:
The advantage of being in the minority is that you get to vote against bills like this.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you being facetious, Tex? A lot of those look like pretty legitimate expenses. I mean, people need sewers and waste disposal, and stuff.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Are you being facetious, Tex? A lot of those look like pretty legitimate expenses. I mean, people need sewers and waste disposal, and stuff.
I was using the term "legit" in the sense of "legitimate stimulus expenses." I guess we'd have to know more specifics to define exactly how legitimate they are in the broader sense of Washington spending, but regardless, this is not stimulus. This is pork.

Or perhaps you'd like to make the case for how $125m for Washington sewers stimulates the economy.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I was using the term "legit" in the sense of "legitimate stimulus expenses." I guess we'd have to know more specifics to define exactly how legitimate they are in the broader sense of Washington spending, but regardless, this is not stimulus. This is pork.

Or perhaps you'd like to make the case for how $125m for Washington sewers stimulates the economy.
This kind of pork is in practically any bill, regardless of what the advertised purpose of the bill is. Like I said, you get to vote against this if you're in the minority without suffering any political fallout.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
My complaint is, it's couched as an economic stimulus package, i.e., creating jobs and infusing capital and liquidity into the market to create other jobs, yet instead his package includes mostly Democratic wish list spending. perhaps you agree with the spending but it's not about stimulating the economy is a dollarwise fashion.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My complaint is, it's couched as an economic stimulus package, i.e., creating jobs and infusing capital and liquidity into the market to create other jobs, yet instead his package includes mostly Democratic wish list spending. perhaps you agree with the spending but it's not about stimulating the economy is a dollarwise fashion.
Sort of like a defense bill that includes the same kind of crap as this one has. Like I said, the GOP should breathe a sigh of relief that they can vote against this in good conscience and not worry about being bashed by their own party leadership or president for doing so.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Sort of like a defense bill that includes the same kind of crap as this one has. Like I said, the GOP should breathe a sigh of relief that they can vote against this in good conscience and not worry about being bashed by their own party leadership or president for doing so.
All bills have pork attached (see: earmarks). But this one is specifically being sold as a stimulus package, which makes the offense especially heinous.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Fair enough.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

At least half the stimulus ought to go towards medical research. Just my opinion.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote