cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

In other words, I was venting because I had no other venue to vent.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

EQ had a move from hell this past weekend. 7 hour move both load and unload, 2 locations. They went cheap on their truck and didn't get one big enough to do it in one trip.

I wasn't at the move, I was doing other church service at the time.

The EQ president/moving coordinator has had to do very few moves since I was released. So this was the first one in a while. He's gotten very lucky in that regard.

His luck can't last forever.

I find that when you are the one responsible for the move, the weight of the world is on your shoulders. When you are not responsible and you don't attend--who gives a flip. Maybe a move happened, maybe not. Who cares.

In other words, not a soul gives a darn about any suffering I went through. That's just the way the world is. And no one will give a darn about this EQ president either.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Is it a sign of a healthy EQ presidency or a traumatized EQ presidency when they start the meeting off giving you a pep talk about the summer moving season?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #34
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

My ward seems to have a lot of moves and we're in a pretty wealthy part of the area, relatively speaking. Those who have to move and have little means, I can understand asking for and receiving help from church members. Families moving into a $300,000 home and saying "we're moving in tomorrow, come help" seems a little more like there is a certain element of LDS culture that leads some to think moving is part of the package that comes from being a member or something. During less affluent times I have received help moving, but it's been quile a while since then. I also rented a truck those times. Since getting married almost 7 years ago we've moved a couple of times but haven't asked for help.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-18-2015 at 09:14 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I wish we had people people moving into our ward buying $300k houses.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:49 AM   #36
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
My ward seems to have a lot of moves and we're in a pretty wealthy part of the area, relatively speaking. Those who have to move and have little means, I can understand asking for and receiving help from church members. Families moving into a $300,000 home and saying "we're moving in tomorrow, come help" seems a little more like there is a certain element of LDS culture that leads some to think moving is part of the package that comes from being a member or something. During less affluent times I have received help moving, but it's been quile a while since then. I also rented a truck those times. Since getting married almost 7 years ago we've moved a couple of times but haven't asked for help.
I have never had LDS help me move, even when I needed the help. I remember moving lots of people, but when it came time to help me move into a moving truck, my non-LDS friends were the only ones to help. It soured me greatly on being involved with moving LDS. IT is a tradition that should die.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #37
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wish we had people people moving into our ward buying $300k houses.
It cuts both ways, I think. Sometimes I wish I were still in a more diverse ward that had people of many different socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds. I miss my ward in Garland where it was people of all types and means and everyone getting along great.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote