cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default Member gets in trouble with local leadership for using info on LDS.org

to answer a question from his 12-14 year olds in sunday school. Basically a member who teaches sunday school gets asked about the priesthood and African Americans and uses information from the essay that is on the church website. It gets back to the bishop who basically tells him it was inappropriate to use that material. I'm guessing the bishop just didn't really like what it said without realizing it came from the LDS website.

What I find interesting in the article that many might miss is that the church spokesman essentially ends up backing the member over the bishop. The quote makes it sound like they're trying to get the word out, but this bishop must have not been listening. Whether or not that was the spokesman's intent, that's how it comes across for me. I mean, how can church headquarters fault a member for taking info from their website in their best effort to answer a youth's question?

The LDS Church "has communicated the value of these essays in many ways, including direct correspondence to priesthood leaders," spokesman Doug Andersen says. "In addition, church-owned media, social-media sharing and Facebook have been effective in making these essays more widely available. The essays are also translated into numerous languages."

This makes me wonder if we're not going to start seeing this kind of thing happening more often as church headquarters seemingly continues to gradually move in a direction that often makes the 1970s era JFS/Harold B. Lee/Bruce R. McConkie wing of the church feel uncomfortable.

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/fait...ol-teacher-was

Last edited by BlueK; 05-05-2015 at 07:50 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mullahs vs. non-mullahs. The battle is simmering.

But it's already preordained that the mullahs will lose. And they know they will lose. And are currently losing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mullahs vs. non-mullahs. The battle is simmering.

But it's already preordained that the mullahs will lose. And they know they will lose. And are currently losing.
I actually think many or most of them don't yet realize they're not in line with the direction the bretheren are going. There are a few who realize it and it makes them unsettled, but I think they're still the minority within that segment of the church. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-05-2015 at 07:55 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You could be right. People like us are more on the cutting edge of what is going on, meaning that we are closely observing.

I am under the impression that the General Authorities have seen numbers that indicate signs of trouble with the younger generation (names removed, inactivity, etc). But that's just a guess.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote