cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this Sltrib end-day article accurate?

Seems like an overblown piece of yellow journalism to me. But maybe not. Is this author and prepping for the end of September really a thing in Utah?

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2935776-1...-up-amid-fears
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Social media facilitates communication among those who tend towards extremism. I think these folks represent a tiny minority, but they're weird enough to create enough curiosity to write a story about it I guess. I think the chances are good that they get cautioned at GC next month.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-15-2015 at 09:53 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
BlueK

Now others are picking up on the Tribune story.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mor...ood/ar-AAehz8s
Old 09-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

We need ute4ever to weigh in. He may have mentioned Rowe, or would at least know people who are into Rowe if he isn't himself.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We need ute4ever to weigh in. He may have mentioned Rowe, or would at least know people who are into Rowe if he isn't himself.
It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm going to guess that church leadership isn't too keen on stories in the media that might lead people to think our members are weirdos, other than the usual word of wisdom or law of chastity type stuff. It's funny though that both articles quote one of the most conservative members of the 12 of the last 30 years in saying not to pay attention to end of the world watchers. It's no coincidence that church PR provided the writer with a BKP quote.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-16-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm going to guess that church leadership isn't too keen on stories in the media that might lead people to think our members are weirdos, other than the usual word of wisdom or law of chastity type stuff. It's funny though that both articles quote one of the most conservative members of the 12 of the last 30 years in saying not to pay attention to end of the world watchers. It's no coincidence that church PR provided the writer with a BKP quote.
But we *are* weirdos. Or at least have a lot of weirdos among us. Our stake is having a preparedness fair. You know, so you are prepared for the end of the world or whatever. And family search conference, so that you can spend all your time electronically copying manifests. These things are fine, but they receive a level of intensity that goes far beyond the social activities of other church. Or service projects for that matter. Why can't we have little humanitarian missions that travel to Mexico or something? Or Costa Rica (safer than Mexico).
Old 09-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I did mention her last year sometime, predicting she would soon be well known. Never attended any of her firesides though. Wasn't there one in Dallas that you didn't attend either?

I am however aquatinted with a different near-death experience author, who is the subject of the book Visions of Glory. I grew up with his son who I have known for 24 years. His book is considerably more comprehensive than Rowe's, but he never went on the radio or traveled to speak, so I imagine that's why his name isn't in the papers. But this much I know to be fact:

The "apostolic friend" mentioned in his book was Elder Maxwell, who he and his son (my friend) home taught for many years. My friend was teased on his mission because he would receive letters from Elder Maxwell.

After Visions of Glory was published, his local leaders asked to meet with him, and then two apostles (I don't know which) asked to meet with him. He remains in good standing and last year was called to be Bishop of a YSA Ward.

He stresses however that the preface to his book is the key: he believes what he saw is a type of things as they might occur, and his book should not be read as a day-by-day prophesy, for much might be symbolic. I know one individual who asked, if these things are representative of what may soon shortly come to pass, why weren't they published through the Lord's anointed? I received three answers:

1) re-read Helaman 6-9.
2) the prophet is not a fortune-teller; he teaches correct principles and invites the individual to engage in activities (like prayer and scripture reading) that invite the spirit to do the rest, because God's plan is not for prophets to be like parents who do their kids homework and rob them of growth, and one of the reasons the Israelites were called "wicked" was because they had to be commanded in all things.
3) the reason Christ spoke in parables was to hide his doctrine from those who were not prepared to receive it, in a wicked society. Re-read President Monson's Sep 2014 Ensign message from a year ago and understand that it is a parable that answers the question of why the prophets do not plainly discuss events to come.

Last edited by ute4ever; 09-17-2015 at 01:29 PM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

AP story on Drudge.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/25c17...s-some-mormons
Old 09-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
BlueK

It looks like she's more or less recanting.

http://julieroweprepare.com/events/
Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

What exactly did she ever claim?

I saw last week someone saying that the religion posts on CB were dominated by talk of her. I of course can't see the religion posts on CB.