cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I don't know exactly what she said directly, but she said enough to get many followers to start believing a major disaster was imminent and likely to happen by the end of this month. How much of it was her and how much of it was her enthusiastic following creating expectations that she apparently didn't discourage, I'm not sure.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Daniel Peterson recently had a discussion on this. Several people who have read her books and listened to her radio interviews, all said she never predicted an apocalypse this month and in fact has never placed dates on anything that she saw. So I don't know where the media was getting their info. I saw one article that was published in the UK (!) about it, where the journalist cited a message board called LDS Freedom.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:47 AM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

This should clear things up.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...tember-29-2015
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #14
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

A couple of different things were going on here, IMO. First, the trib article did try to make something that was very insignificant look like a big deal. Then other outlets picked up on the story and ran with it. I did see the article mentioned in the link that was talking about Mormons and had a bunch of pictures of polygamists. That story was actually from a tabloid coming out of the UK. The tabloids in that country often make the National Enquirer look like a bastion of credible, serious journalism. So in this respect I think the church is correct in pointing out how spurious this wave of articles that started with our friends at the Trib was.

On the other hand, if you looked at certain cirlces of social media, there really are a small group of LDS wackos out there who seemed to be overreacting to statements and writings made by Rowe and who were making a lot of social media posts about it. The problem is the reporting of it I think made it look like a much, much bigger deal than it really is. I'm pretty sure nothing would have been mentioned in the national and international media had it not been for the good old Salt Lake Tribune trying to make something very insignificant look like a big deal.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-30-2015 at 06:25 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote