cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #21
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

As far as Johnny's quote goes. There are things far worse than death.............. Where did you here that quote, from Bin Laden.
Mike.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2764605
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It's when you refuse to see any level of comparison with evil on any level whatsoever, that you enter nutjob-land. Because at that point, you can justify almost anything.
I think it's equally nutty for the liberal wing of America to run passionately into the arms of the Nazi regime every time they hear of a terrorist getting an untreated hangnail while in prison.

And if that's too hyperbolic for you, welcome to just about every Nazi-comparison I've ever heard.

It's almost like you've never heard of Godwin's Law before.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...fte_verne.html

I really hate people that pretend there is no moral cost to what we do. Especially Mormons who pretend this.
I agree with this and as usual I agree with Sullivan's view. But I find people who take our liberties for granted even more loathsome. They evince an understanding of the arc of history that goes back only about forty years and is limited to a relatively small area and subset of peoples on our planet. History shows that republican forms of government are fragile and ephemeral, and they become most vulnerable when taken for granted. Only through diligent maintenance of an ethos that cherishes and resolves doubts in favor of civil liberties, can we postpone America's probable inevitable decline to authoritarianism. I fear that Bush and his people don't even have that ethos.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Tex and JL and BYU71, it is called a "slippery slope."

No we are not the Nazis.

It's like my seminary teacher said, "It's not where you are on the ladder, it's which direction you are climbing."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I agree with this and as usual I agree with Sullivan's view. But I find people who take our liberties for granted even more loathsome. They evince an understanding of the arc of history that goes back only about forty years and is limited to a relatively small area and subset of peoples on our planet. History shows that republican forms of government are fragile and ephemeral, and they become most vulnerable when taken for granted. Only through diligent maintenance of an ethos that cherishes and resolves doubts in favor of civil liberties, can we postpone America's probable inevitable decline to authoritarianism. I fear that Bush and his people don't even have that ethos.
Amen.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #26
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The slippery slope

What are we not on a slippery slope toward. Pardon me for saying this, but what a stupid argument slippery slope is.

I could say you and those who agree with you are putting us on a slippery slope to losing to and becoming overrun by Islamic Fundamentalists.

How do you like it on CB when you discuss a religious topic and don't agree with them. Then they tell you, "you are on a slippery slope to apostacy."

Come up with something better. Slippery slope doesn't cut it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I agree with SU. The 2nd law of thermodynamics suggests we will end up as a dictatorship.

So I fight against the weakening of our civil liberties.

Others like you argue that the threat from terrorists is greater than the threat of giving up our civil liberties.

We disagree.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #28
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
"It's the economy, stupid." Never was a truer statement made. We have become so fat and lazy that as long as we have good jobs and the S&P 500 keeps going up, most Americans don't give a crap about politics and all of the above. Sad but true.

With a strong economy, authoritarianism would work great in this country today.

Not saying I agree with that, but I think that's where we're at. The Greatest Generations has given way to the most selfish/self-absorbed generation.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
IBut I find people who take our liberties for granted even more loathsome. They evince an understanding of the arc of history that goes back only about forty years and is limited to a relatively small area and subset of peoples on our planet.
Funny enough, I would use this same logic to defend my position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tex and JL and BYU71, it is called a "slippery slope."

No we are not the Nazis.

It's like my seminary teacher said, "It's not where you are on the ladder, it's which direction you are climbing."
That's a nice bumper sticker, but as usual, real life is more complicated. "Slippery slope" also happens to be a favorite logical fallacy.

Just standing in front of the mirror and shouting "Slippery Slope!" three times each morning doesn't replace making a cogent argument for how we are becoming Nazi Part Deux.

I simply don't see it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think it's equally nutty for the liberal wing of America to run passionately into the arms of the Nazi regime every time they hear of a terrorist getting an untreated hangnail while in prison.

And if that's too hyperbolic for you, welcome to just about every Nazi-comparison I've ever heard.

It's almost like you've never heard of Godwin's Law before.
I am well aware of Godwin's Law. And it doesn't surprise me that you would be a fan of it. It's perfectly binary.