cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default The only thing that bothers me about polygamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
yes, of course I know there are many reactions: I'm asking for individual's thoughts here.

I'm not really talking about the current FLDS example per se, but more theoretically. What is it that bothers any of you about these groups? It seems to me that the typical examples cited about how they are "bad" stem from allegations of child abuse/statutory rape and not anything to do with adults having multiple partners. If that's true, it's not really the polygamy that bothers people but the child abuse.

Which to me begs the questions here about what if these young brides were 19 instead of 14? you say yes, Mike. exUte raises the gay marriage specter, which is fair enough. . . it has similarities, I guess, but I don't see how LDS could attack it in the same way when our people practiced it for so long.
is 1) if there is child abuse and 2) if there is welfare fraud involved. Again, they deserve the same rights to marry between consenting adults as it is for homosexuals.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So could you lose your TR over sending a contribution to their legal fund to get their kids back?
I don't think that represents the sort of relationship the question is referring to. I also don't think I represented the actual question very well...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"

Last edited by Spaz; 04-24-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
exUte

Default Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So could you lose your TR over sending a contribution to their legal fund to get their kids back?
But nice try.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
yes, of course I know there are many reactions: I'm asking for individual's thoughts here.

I'm not really talking about the current FLDS example per se, but more theoretically. What is it that bothers any of you about these groups? It seems to me that the typical examples cited about how they are "bad" stem from allegations of child abuse/statutory rape and not anything to do with adults having multiple partners. If that's true, it's not really the polygamy that bothers people but the child abuse.

Which to me begs the questions here about what if these young brides were 19 instead of 14? you say yes, Mike. exUte raises the gay marriage specter, which is fair enough. . . it has similarities, I guess, but I don't see how LDS could attack it in the same way when our people practiced it for so long.
I don't see how it is hard to attack something our ancestors may have practiced. My ancestors practiced slavery. I can wholeheartedly attack slavery. My ancestors wore beards, I can wholeheartedly attack that. Going back far enough, my ancestors did things in the Bible I would totally dissassociate myself with.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
16 or 19? I believe Texas law says that with a parent's permission, a 16-year-old CAN get married. If that is the criteria to take away children, what are they going to do with every other teenager in Texas that gets's pregnant at that age? My guess it's more than just FLDS girls. What is the teenage pregnancy rate across the state? How about in the black community or the hispanic community?
There is no minimum pregnancy age laws, however it was only recently (I believe a little over 2 years ago) that Texas changed their minimum age laws for marriage which when the FLDS had moved into the state were 14 years. Now it is 16. The one 16 year old who is either pregnant or who has children could very well be within the bounds of the laws since any 14 year old brides at the time the laws were changed were certainly grandfathered in (no pun intended).

Click on image for my card and blog

Last edited by DJRoss; 04-24-2008 at 04:20 PM.
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
exUte

Default So they created a change in the law specifically

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
There is no minimum pregnancy age laws, however it was only recently (I believe a little over 2 years ago) that Texas changed their minimum age laws for marriage which when the FLDS had moved into the state were 14 years. Now it is 16. The one 16 year old who is either pregnant or who has children could very well be within the bounds of the laws since any 14 year old brides at the time the laws were changed were certainly grandfathered in (no pun intended).
for a sect they didn't approve of? Interesting. So prior, it was ok for a 14-year-old to marry.......as long as they weren't FLDS?

And to those who still claim that the FLDS weren't targeted from the get go are delusional. All it took was a hoax! Nice, Texas!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question for the lawyers about the Jeffs conviction. In other words, a question for Archaea.

The two girls' parents consented to the marriages, and the court found said marital consummations to be rape. So my question is, why haven't the parents been charged and tried as accomplices? They willingly consented to and encouraged their daughters to get in bed with the man.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I have a question for the lawyers about the Jeffs conviction. In other words, a question for Archaea.

The two girls' parents consented to the marriages, and the court found said marital consummations to be rape. So my question is, why haven't the parents been charged and tried as accomplices? They willingly consented to and encouraged their daughters to get in bed with the man.
It sounds too tenuous but in theory it is plausible.