cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Article on JT and PPS

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/245966/

Things I like from the article.

1. Tavernari acknowledges he needs to improve shot selection. He needs to shoot. And he needs to shoot a lot. But maybe not quite so much. 16 3 point shot attempts in a game is a bit much.

2. Burgess is showing leadership. Burgess is going to have to be the leader of this team as far as locker room stuff. I like Burgess telling JT he needs to tone it down.

Points per shot:

I define points per shot as total points/(total fg attempts + ft attempts*.5)

Last year, BYU was 1.14 PPS. That's great. That's going to win you a lot of games. Our opponents last year against us were 1.03.

This year, BYU is a phenomanal 1.19.

Breakdown:

PLAISTED, Trent.... 1.24
TAVERNARI, Jonathan 1.09
CUMMARD, Lee....... 1.32
BURGESS, Sam....... 1.22
FREDETTE, Jimmer... 1.27
IVANOVIC, Vuk...... 1.25
LOYD, Michael...... 1.15
MURDOCK, Ben....... 1.24
MILES, Chris....... 1.00
COLLINSWORTH, Chris 0.74
MARTINEAU, Nick.... 1.40
ROSE, Archie....... 1.00

JT is close to the bottom of this at 1.09, but that still is a good PPS, and he's the guy taking wild shots, shots at the end of the shot clock, shots opening up the middle, he's the guy making things happen. So I don't mind him slightly below the team average, and I really don't mind him jacking up those kind of shots if he's at 1.09 PPS.

There are about 3-4 shots a game that he probably needs to eliminate. If he does that, his PPS will go up, and he'll still be the free wheeling shooter that we need.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I think JT is a great player for the type of system that Rose wants to run. He is a good player and his shot selection will never be good, but it will improve with time.

As for my team, I would cringe to have a player like JT on the Utes. I don't want that style on my team. I can barely stomach having Johnny Bryant on the team.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like they need to feed Martineau the ball.

Go Darts!

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Burgess is going to have to be the leader of this team as far as locker room stuff. I like Burgess telling JT he needs to tone it down.
I agree completely with this point - JT does not seem to be the type of player that guys are going to rally around. He's a great player, maybe the best on the team, but I don't see the other guys looking to him for leadership. If anything, I see them getting tired of his shtick.

Tonight should be another good chance to see lots of Collinsworth, Jimmer, and Loyd. I'd also like to see Miles get some good minutes.

It will be interesting to see if Jimmer gets any PT against Mich St.

How nice is it that Mich St is probably thinking to themselves "suck, we have to play BYU in Salt Lake - that's a tough game"
Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
I agree completely with this point - JT does not seem to be the type of player that guys are going to rally around. He's a great player, maybe the best on the team, but I don't see the other guys looking to him for leadership. If anything, I see them getting tired of his shtick.

Tonight should be another good chance to see lots of Collinsworth, Jimmer, and Loyd. I'd also like to see Miles get some good minutes.

It will be interesting to see if Jimmer gets any PT against Mich St.

How nice is it that Mich St is probably thinking to themselves "suck, we have to play BYU in Salt Lake - that's a tough game"

I'm sure that Michigan St respects BYU as an opponent, but they have seen a lot more difficult challenges than BYU thrown their way on a consistent basis.

One thing that I'm really interested in seeing with BYU is how they respond to a very physical and aggressive defensive style like Michigan St. I think UNC is a better team than Michigan St, but Michigan St is a tougher matchup for BYU. UNC is a team that isn't going to punch you in the mouth like Michigan St will.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I'm sure that Michigan St respects BYU as an opponent, but they have seen a lot more difficult challenges than BYU thrown their way on a consistent basis.

One thing that I'm really interested in seeing with BYU is how they respond to a very physical and aggressive defensive style like Michigan St. I think UNC is a better team than Michigan St, but Michigan St is a tougher matchup for BYU. UNC is a team that isn't going to punch you in the mouth like Michigan St will.
NOrht Carolina is pretty damn physical this year, what with Tyler Hansbrough et al. I think you were confused by the baby blue uniforms, which usually lend themselves to a more YOhio/Utestar type of play.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
NOrht Carolina is pretty damn physical this year, what with Tyler Hansbrough et al. I think you were confused by the baby blue uniforms, which usually lend themselves to a more YOhio/Utestar type of play.

Maybe North Carolina has completely changed their style of play, but Roy Williams teams have never been known for physical defense. Roy Williams teams have always been finesse teams.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Maybe North Carolina has completely changed their style of play, but Roy Williams teams have never been known for physical defense. Roy Williams teams have always been finesse teams.
?

Just because a team runs doesn't mean they are not physical. UNC runs a ton of players in and out and they get after you on defense. Their defense is what creates their fast break offense. They pressure you on the perimeter and they body you down low.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:25 AM   #9
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
?

Just because a team runs doesn't mean they are not physical. UNC runs a ton of players in and out and they get after you on defense. Their defense is what creates their fast break offense. They pressure you on the perimeter and they body you down low.
Roy Williams is not and never has been a good defensive coach.

Izzo on the other hand is a great defensive coach. Michigan St is going to play man-to-man defense on you. If you go to the basket you are going to end up on your ass. They will protect the paint. They will play position defense over gambling for steals like UNC.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Roy Williams is not and never has been a good defensive coach.

Izzo on the other hand is a great defensive coach. Michigan St is going to play man-to-man defense on you. If you go to the basket you are going to end up on your ass. They will protect the paint. They will play position defense over gambling for steals like UNC.
You've got this obsession with knocking people down in the pain like it's some kind of manly ego thing for you. UNC plays some of the best defense in the nation. Their defense creates their up tempo style that kills teams.

You know what happens when you knock someone on their ass every time they go in the paint? You get called for a foul and they go to the free throw line, and you end up fouling out everyone and the other team beats you by 20 points by knocking their free throws down.