cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #131
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Come on, Indy. This is a case of the chickens coming home to roost. You have to admit that you have a pretty big body of work on message boards from which people can delineate tendencies.
Can't you see the incredible irony of this whole thread? SEIQ posts an 'alternative voice code of conduct' so to speak, and then REPEATEDLY browbeats me, all because of a simple request.

Even if he suspected I would act in that fashion, if he really believed in what he posted to begin with, he would have initially given me the benefit of the doubt at the bare minimum.

Given the tone of his response to several people in this thread, I think he needs to go off in a corner and work on internalizing Mauss a little longer instead of going off on an extended fit of pre-emptive sanctimony.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #132
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Prove it.
Intentions cannot be proven, even (especially) to one's self. The fact is, you have done exactly what I said on many occasions whether you think you intended it or not. You enter the fray, shift the issue to some point in someon'e definition, strain at gnats, and ignore the issue that was introduced.

Experience argues against your professions of purity, as does your subsequent behavior.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #133
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Intentions cannot be proven, even (especially) to one's self. The fact is, you have done exactly what I said on many occasions whether you think you intended it or not. You enter the fray, shift the issue to some point in someon'e definition, strain at gnats, and ignore the issue that was introduced.

Experience argues against your professions of purity, as does your subsequent behavior.
Why don't you go over to the intellectual thread (which is really another attempt to discuss the main thrust of what this thread should have been about before you undermined yourself)? Would you care to give examples where I did any of the things you mentioned above?

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7623

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #134
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You still haven't said what was offensive and condescending in that point.
That my argument is a strawman and my ideas are nonsense. I do not consider anything you have written, with sincere intent at dialogue as nonsense.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #135
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Can't you see the incredible irony of this whole thread? SEIQ posts an 'alternative voice code of conduct' so to speak, and then REPEATEDLY browbeats me, all because of a simple request.

Even if he suspected I would act in that fashion, if he really believed in what he posted to begin with, he would have initially given me the benefit of the doubt at the bare minimum.

Given the tone of his response to several people in this thread, I think he needs to go off in a corner and work on internalizing Mauss a little longer instead of going off on an extended fit of pre-emptive sanctimony.
I have every reason to believe that your "simple request" was exactly what I treated it as. And you have a way of extending "pre-emptive sanctimony" in such questions.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #136
Indy Coug

Quote:
I have every reason to believe that your "simple request" was exactly what I treated it as. And you have a way of extending "pre-emptive sanctimony" in such questions.
So you think your conduct in this thread is beyond reproach?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #137
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
That my argument is a strawman and my ideas are nonsense. I do not consider anything you have written, with sincere intent at dialogue as nonsense.
Goodness sakes! Read your own posts, toolblue! You have just changed your objection from what I said about intellectual's work being interwoven with their faith to my objection that you haven't clarified your own point of view.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #138
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
So you think your conduct in this thread is beyond reproach?
No.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #139
tooblue

Quote:
Read what I wrote.

Satan's plan in the pre-existence was about forcing everyone to be blindly obedient to him. He didn't want the risks of a test, with its choices and subsequent knowledge. Your associating innoculation in the sense of exposure to non-hagiographic Mormon history with Satan has exactly zero scriptural support, prophetic support, and logical support. It's a false association, plain and simple. Worse, you seem to like the idea of blind obedience to authority, and the scriptures be damned.
My perspective is simply my perspective, not doctrine. You are being very careful to delineate Satan's behavior which is a contradiction to an appreciation for alternate voices. I do not think the situation was that cut and dried or black and white. The support for my views exist but I will not discuss it here.

Innoculation is not my word. Earlier on in the discussion I hummed and hawed whether to stick with the word and perhaps that was a poor choice.

I have said nothing about blind obedience and am befuddled by your assertion, for I have only championed the idea of freedom to choose ... ask UtahDan.

Now I've got to take my boys bowling
Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #140
tooblue

Quote:
Goodness sakes! Read your own posts, toolblue! You have just changed your objection from what I said about intellectual's work being interwoven with their faith to my objection that you haven't clarified your own point of view.
? You asked what was offensive ..... I answered.