cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default Are Mormon Democrats Doomed?

Seriously, is it true that you cannot be a "Mormon in good standing" if you lean left of center? Did a prophet really make that statement? Will any of you attend my Disciplinary Council?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

When are you going to tell is who you really are?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Will any of you attend my Disciplinary Council?
Are you kidding? They are far too violent for my taste.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Seriously, is it true that you cannot be a "Mormon in good standing" if you lean left of center? Did a prophet really make that statement? Will any of you attend my Disciplinary Council?
An apostle said that while serving in a Republican presidents cabinet. It certainly is not accepted by the church as doctrine or even worthy of consideration.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 05-09-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No more than Catholic Democrats

or Evangelical democrats.

Democrats were unable to beat George W. Bush...twice. Doomed is indeed a good assesment.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
An apostle said that while serving in a Republican presidents cabinet. It certainly is not accepted by the church as doctrine or even worthy of consideration, unless you attend Tex's ward.
Can you provide a reference to the statement in context?
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

I found the quote:

“In February 1974 Apostle Ezra Taft Benson was asked during an interview if a good Mormon could also be a liberal Democrat. Benson pessimistically replied: ‘I think it would be very hard if he was living the gospel and understood it.’”

Also another politically relevant quote from JD Williams:

“...the practice of Church officials making suggestions to public administrators and lawmakers [since the Church’s early days in Missouri and Illinois] has never died... In the legislative area, relations between Church officials and law makers are still very direct. Some are out-in-the-open for the public to see; others are behind the scenes. Communiques to members of Congress are periodically sent by the First Presidency. Two famous ones were the 1946 admonition to the Utah Congressional delegation to oppose a peacetime draft and the 1965 letter to all Mormons in Congress to resist the repeal of ‘right-to-work’ laws.”
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
I found the quote:

“In February 1974 Apostle Ezra Taft Benson was asked during an interview if a good Mormon could also be a liberal Democrat. Benson pessimistically replied: ‘I think it would be very hard if he was living the gospel and understood it.’”

Also another politically relevant quote from JD Williams:

“...the practice of Church officials making suggestions to public administrators and lawmakers [since the Church’s early days in Missouri and Illinois] has never died... In the legislative area, relations between Church officials and law makers are still very direct. Some are out-in-the-open for the public to see; others are behind the scenes. Communiques to members of Congress are periodically sent by the First Presidency. Two famous ones were the 1946 admonition to the Utah Congressional delegation to oppose a peacetime draft and the 1965 letter to all Mormons in Congress to resist the repeal of ‘right-to-work’ laws.”
Can you find another source besides the single paragraph located at "The Mormon Quotes" page who cites, as its source in turn, "The Mormon Corporate Empire"?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but I don't know who JD Williams is. Barring actually seeing the content of the letters themselves, there is nothing inherently wrong with the LDS Church petitioning members of Congress.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Can you find another source besides the single paragraph located at "The Mormon Quotes" page who cites, as its source in turn, "The Mormon Corporate Empire"?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but I don't know who JD Williams is. Barring actually seeing the content of the letters themselves, there is nothing inherently wrong with the LDS Church petitioning members of Congress.
So you're saying you don't believe Ezra Taft Benson said that?
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
So you're saying you don't believe Ezra Taft Benson said that?
No, I'm saying it's an odd thing to say given that Benson likely associated with many LDS Democrats, even among high church leadership. I'd like to be certain I understand the context in which the question was asked, and to learn if there was any more to the answer.

Moreover, I'd like a better and more reliable source than an obscure Internet site that quotes an out-of-print book that could ostensibly be classified by some as anti-Mormon (despite the fact that one of its authors is/was a member).