cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In the midst of this financial mess

Would a McCain-Romney ticket be more appealing than the McCain-Palin ticket?

The reality is that neither McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden can credibly inspire economic confidence based on experience or action. We're voting for their advertised plans and their faceless advisers who will craft and implement.

I think this is where Romney would have been appealing. I don't think his private sector experience gives him a huge advantage in practically dealing with the current economic issue, but he would put a credible face on McCain's policy. Somebody who has made and lost big money in the private sector. Instead, we're choosing between one ticket with two lawyers who never really practiced and another with a soldier and a homemaker. Neither ticket seems to inspire much confidence.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

The reality is that neither McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden can credibly inspire economic confidence based on experience or action. We're voting for their advertised plans and their faceless advisers who will craft and implement.

I think this is where Romney would have been appealing. I don't think his private sector experience gives him a huge advantage in practically dealing with the current economic issue, but he would put a credible face on McCain's policy. Somebody who has made and lost big money in the private sector. Instead, we're choosing between one ticket with two lawyers who never really practiced and another with a soldier and a homemaker. Neither ticket seems to inspire much confidence.
Stop already. Enough.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Exactly. This is what McCain gave up when he picked up Jane the middleclass everywoman. At the time (following his I-own-half-a-dozen-houses publicity) seemed like a fair trade, but now with everyone so nervous about the economy I still wonder if Romney wouldn't have been a better choice. Based on the numbers, it's looking like the increasing focus on and concern over the economy is hurting McCain. It's not that Romney really *is* some kind of macroeconomic genius...but he doesn't need to be one. There's a perception out there that he's knowledgeable and experienced in the financial arena. And McCain could really use that kind of credibility right now.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Exactly. This is what McCain gave up when he picked up Jane the middleclass everywoman. At the time (following his I-own-half-a-dozen-houses publicity) seemed like a fair trade, but now with everyone so nervous about the economy I still wonder if Romney wouldn't have been a better choice. Based on the numbers, it's looking like the increasing focus on and concern over the economy is hurting McCain. It's not that Romney really *is* some kind of macroeconomic genius...but he doesn't need to be one. There's a perception out there that he's knowledgeable and experienced in the financial arena. And McCain could really use that kind of credibility right now.
I understand what you're saying, but does McCain really need more credibility when it comes to the economy when the opposing ticket is Obama/Biden?

All four are equally incompetent.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I understand what you're saying, but does McCain really need more credibility when it comes to the economy when the opposing ticket is Obama/Biden?

That's like saying that you don't need a good batter because the hitting sucks on both teams.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's like saying that you don't need a good batter because the hitting sucks on both teams.
A good "batter"? What does cooking have to do with baseball?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
A good "batter"? What does cooking have to do with baseball?
Go pick on Lebowski.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

That's my point. McCain gave up the opportunity to have the only ticket with any perceived economic credibility.

Further, if you believe the polls, for whatever reason people trust Obama with the economy more than McCain. That's why it seemed all the more important for McCain to go with someone with some economic or financial credentials.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Go pick on Lebowski.
You're funnier, a better cook, and you 'stache is way sexier. Let me get my licks in where I can.

By the way, I made you ditellini pasta thing a few times. Big hit with the family.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
You're funnier, a better cook, and you 'stache is way sexier. Let me get my licks in where I can.

By the way, I made you ditellini pasta thing a few times. Big hit with the family.
Sadly, he's right. I can't compete with YOhio's sexiness.