cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Irony alert. I don't think anyone who spends time on cougarboard, utefans or cougarguard ought to claim this.
cha-ching.

Mike 1 UDan 0.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #12
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
What about repeatedly being kicked in the Jimmy by the dude in your picture... Milton Bradley or whoever it is?
This is a trick question, Milton Bradley is a great human being who would never kick and Oakland A's fan in the jimmy. However, an answer to your question yes it is preferrable to listening to the Dixie Chicks.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

As a bluegrass fan, I liked some of the earlier works by the Dixie Chicks. But I am not impressed with their latest album.

When folks say "I don't care about their politics; I just don't like their music" I can't help but roll my eyes. This whole issue has just been too polarizing. And for some reason there has been almost no outcry over Toby Keith's political posturing. And he is much uglier than Natalie Maines.

Which brings me to another point, who the hell cares what the lead singer looks like? Why do we judge female artists by their looks and not male artists? (Keith Richards? Mick Jagger? Yikes) I guess if you want eye candy with little talent, you can always go with Faith Hill or Shania Twain.

As for the political controversy, it never bothered me since I started loathing Bush about a month after he took office. I also admired them for not backing down even though the Nashville establishment came down on them like a ton of bricks (I hate Nashville, BTW).
Old 02-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I couldn't stand them before they put a whole shoe store in their mouth.

The lead singer is un-attractive and has a voice that sounds like she's a horse that's been shot.

The Dixie Chicks suck.
This from a Janet Jackson fan? Interesting.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
And for some reason there has been almost no outcry over Toby Keith's political posturing. And he is much uglier than Natalie Maines.

Which brings me to another point, who the hell cares what the lead singer looks like? Why do we judge female artists by their looks and not male artists? (Keith Richards? Mick Jagger? Yikes) I guess if you want eye candy with little talent, you can always go with Faith Hill or Shania Twain.

As for the political controversy, it never bothered me since I started loathing Bush about a month after he took office. I also admired them for not backing down even though the Nashville establishment came down on them like a ton of bricks (I hate Nashville, BTW).
I think male artists ARE judged by their looks these days. I can't imagine Jim Croce or Roy Orbison making it on MTV. On the other hand, they might have more luck than a Mama Cass.

As far as the Chicks are concerned, the only problem I ever had was the absolute immaturity and tactlessness with which they delivered their original remarks. One does not approach a foreign dignitary, declare oneself some sort of de facto spokesperson, apologize on behalf of the nation, and then claim to be embarrased by one's own president. That's just bad form.

I'm sure there's a way for a celebrity to intelligently voice discontent with foreign policy, but that wasn't it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
No the Dixie Chicks are like other artists who piss me off who grandstand on the stage and give me an earful of their political views instead of the music I paid to listen to. Nothing pisses me off more than paying decent money for a show to only have the artist I like go into a diatribe about Bush, the environment, or whatever else. Besides what was so courageous about what they said? If I remember when all the hoopla around them began it was performing overseas right? They should have spoken their mind at a show in Texas if they wanted to be courageous.

In fact, I hate when anything that any celebrity says politically makes the news. I don't give a hoot what George Clooney or Barbara Streisand have to say about the war or the political party.
Amen, brother. Very well said and spot on.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:18 AM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I think male artists ARE judged by their looks these days. I can't imagine Jim Croce or Roy Orbison making it on MTV. On the other hand, they might have more luck than a Mama Cass.

As far as the Chicks are concerned, the only problem I ever had was the absolute immaturity and tactlessness with which they delivered their original remarks. One does not approach a foreign dignitary, declare oneself some sort of de facto spokesperson, apologize on behalf of the nation, and then claim to be embarrased by one's own president. That's just bad form.

I'm sure there's a way for a celebrity to intelligently voice discontent with foreign policy, but that wasn't it.
Huh? "foreign dignitary"? It was a casual, unscripted comment made to the audience at a concert in Europe. Is there some unwritten rule that says one is not allowed to express negative political viewpoints to foreigners? Who ever said she spoke on behalf of the nation?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:21 AM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Besides what was so courageous about what they said? If I remember when all the hoopla around them began it was performing overseas right? They should have spoken their mind at a show in Texas if they wanted to be courageous.
There was nothing particularly courageous about the original comment. But one could argue that standing up to immense pressure from the executives at the recording company and to the outrage from the country music fanbase was courageous. They refused to retract the statement. They lost a tremdendous amount of money over the fiasco and I don't think their career will ever get back to where it was.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:24 AM   #19
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huh? "foreign dignitary"? It was a casual, unscripted comment made to the audience at a concert in Europe. Is there some unwritten rule that says one is not allowed to express negative political viewpoints to foreigners? Who ever said she spoke on behalf of the nation?
shows you what I know.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:41 AM   #20
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There was nothing particularly courageous about the original comment. But one could argue that standing up to immense pressure from the executives at the recording company and to the outrage from the country music fanbase was courageous. They refused to retract the statement. They lost a tremdendous amount of money over the fiasco and I don't think their career will ever get back to where it was.
Are you kidding me? Lost money? It was a money making bonanza ... whether it was scripted or not!

And I don't think for one minute that it was off-the-cuff unscripted comments -you're deluded if you believe otherwise.

That's like trying to convince us the Sex Pistols were authentic.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote