cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question for our Greek scholars:

Are there any new testament manuscripts or fragments that have the definite article (ho) before theos at the end of John 1:1?

I like Moffatt's qualititative position, which is reflected in his translation, the New English Bible, the Revised English Bible, etc., but I'm curious as to whether there are any manuscripts that support the definitive position with the presence of "ho" (and that therefore flirt with Sabellianism).

Note, I know that the John 1:1 mess can't be resolved linguistically, but I'm interested in whether the definitive position can be butressed in this way...
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 05-04-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll check with Imus to see if "ho" was used. I'm guessing he will say "yes."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Are there any new testament manuscripts or fragments that have the definite article (ho) before theos at the end of John 1:1?

I like Moffatt's qualititative position, which is reflected in his translation, the New English Bible, the Revised English Bible, etc., but I'm curious as to whether there are any manuscripts that support the definitive position with the presence of "ho" (and that therefore flirt with Sabellianism).

Note, I know that the John 1:1 mess can't be resolved linguistically, but I'm interested in whether the definitive position can be butressed in this way...
Manuscript L (which dates to the 8th century) is the only known manuscript to include the definite article in that passage. Curiously, the variant is not mentioned either in the critical apparatus or the variae lectiones minores in the Nestle Aland Greek NT (the blue one). But if it had been noticed the editors probably decided that it was obviously added and that the reading had no claim to antiquity. If there had been any theological controversy surrounding that article in antiquity, we'd probably see evidence of it in older mss, IMO.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Manuscript L (which dates to the 8th century) is the only known manuscript to include the definite article in that passage. Curiously, the variant is not mentioned either in the critical apparatus or the variae lectiones minores in the Nestle Aland Greek NT (the blue one). But if it had been noticed the editors probably decided that it was obviously added and that the reading had no claim to antiquity. If there had been any theological controversy surrounding that article in antiquity, we'd probably see evidence of it in older mss, IMO.
Interesting.

Where did you look to find this? I'm not a bible scholar, so maybe there's an easy answer, but I am hard pressed to imagine where to find textual variations not contained in the apparatus crit. Teach me.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wonderful. Thanks, CHC!
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Interesting.

Where did you look to find this? I'm not a bible scholar, so maybe there's an easy answer, but I am hard pressed to imagine where to find textual variations not contained in the apparatus crit. Teach me.
Many Bible scholars wouldn't know where to find it either. It's just us text critic nerds who would have these kinds of tools. There is a nice series of manuscript collations done by Russell Swanson, arranged by NT book, and collated against the most highly regarded manuscript, Codex Vaticanus (B). While no collation collection is exhaustive (there are just too many mss.), he at least includes the papyri, uncials and most important minuscules. The volume on John is called _New Testament Greek Manuscripts: John_. It is published by Sheffield academic press. So far there are volumes for the Gospels, Acts, Romans, 1 Cor., and Galatians. There is also an ongoing project called the IGNTP (Int'l Greek New Testament Project), which David Parker is currently heading up (Bart Ehrman is also on the board of editors). It has been going on for over 50 years and so far they have only covered the mss tradition exhaustively for Luke (they are going for fully comprehensive collations)! The John volume covering just the papyri[!] is published (the volumes covering the majuscules and minuscules are forthcoming), but I don't own it as I don't have an extra hundred something dollars lying around (and that's just per volume). I believe the Luke volumes were published by Oxford, and the current ones are being published by Brill, which I'm sure you know breaks the bank for scholars with their prices. Ultimately, I'm sure the IGNTP volumes will be even more comprehensive than the Swanson volumes.
[Okay I just found the IGNTP's website: http://www.igntp.org/ ]
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Many Bible scholars wouldn't know where to find it either. It's just us text critic nerds who would have these kinds of tools. There is a nice series of manuscript collations done by Russell Swanson, arranged by NT book, and collated against the most highly regarded manuscript, Codex Vaticanus (B). While no collation collection is exhaustive (there are just too many mss.), he at least includes the papyri, uncials and most important minuscules. The volume on John is called _New Testament Greek Manuscripts: John_. It is published by Sheffield academic press. So far there are volumes for the Gospels, Acts, Romans, 1 Cor., and Galatians. There is also an ongoing project called the IGNTP (Int'l Greek New Testament Project), which David Parker is currently heading up (Bart Ehrman is also on the board of editors). It has been going on for over 50 years and so far they have only covered the mss tradition exhaustively for Luke (they are going for fully comprehensive collations)! The John volume covering just the papyri[!] is published (the volumes covering the majuscules and minuscules are forthcoming), but I don't own it as I don't have an extra hundred something dollars lying around (and that's just per volume). I believe the Luke volumes were published by Oxford, and the current ones are being published by Brill, which I'm sure you know breaks the bank for scholars with their prices. Ultimately, I'm sure the IGNTP volumes will be even more comprehensive than the Swanson volumes.
Awesome. Thanks.

Those are some monster projects. It kind of reminds me of what 19th century Germans did with Greek inscriptions, although those corpora are in huge need of updating. Somehow, it seems like internet technology could make a more fluid, easily edited repository of mss. and the like. In my dreams, I know.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Holy freaking crap... I understand next to nothing that you guys said. And you are probably proud of that.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I could purchase those, so how do I get them?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Holy freaking crap... I understand next to nothing that you guys said. And you are probably proud of that.
I'm with you. I understood each individual word but strung together as they were went right past me like a Nolan Ryan fastball.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote