cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I'm partial to Browning - mostly because it's a Utah company -
When I was a missionary in Belgium, I frequently was told that Browning was a Belgian company and had been since the early 1900's. Are there 2 Browning's.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
YardTime

YardTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
what do you guys think of 22 pistols?
If you're going .22 pistol I highly recommend the Browning Buckmark. It's a great .22 pistol. I have one myself.
YardTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
When I was a missionary in Belgium, I frequently was told that Browning was a Belgian company and had been since the early 1900's. Are there 2 Browning's.
Belgium is where Browning International is located, but it all started in Ogden, Utah by a member of the LDS Church named John Browning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Belgium is where Browning International is located, but it all started in Ogden, Utah by a member of the LDS Church named John Browning:

O-town in the house!

The Brownings still own a few homes in Ogden...
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #15
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Ogden? Am I remembering incorrectly or is there a Browning house and shop in Nauvoo where they began production on Browning rifles?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #16
YardTime

YardTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Ogden? Am I remembering incorrectly or is there a Browning house and shop in Nauvoo where they began production on Browning rifles?

You are correct sir! It started in Nauvoo! Browning only went to O-town because he was forced out of Nauvoo. I guess he figured no one would try to chase him out of Ogden.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Speaking of Browning, I watched a documentary on his life a few years back (on KUED?) and the guy was a genius. Many of his original designs are still in use.

Anyway, he came up with a design for a gun that immediately went into production by Colt or some other gun company and then he was called on a mission. As a missionary he was in a store one day and they were selling "his" gun. He picked it up and in the course of the conversation mentioned to the storekeeper that he had designed the gun prior to his mission. The storekeeper just laughed. He shrugged his shoulders and left.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #18
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I always disliked letting the scouts shoot handguns, even when they were .22s. Like someone mentioned, its too easy to get relaxed with them and treat them more like toys.

Invariably, they would turn their hats sideways and start firing away at the target, turning their hands sideways like "Boyz in the Hood". Obviously, they preferred the semi-automatics. As you can imagine, their accuracy went way up when they did that.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
I always disliked letting the scouts shoot handguns, even when they were .22s. Like someone mentioned, its too easy to get relaxed with them and treat them more like toys.

Invariably, they would turn their hats sideways and start firing away at the target, turning their hands sideways like "Boyz in the Hood". Obviously, they preferred the semi-automatics. As you can imagine, their accuracy went way up when they did that.
Good point.

I guess I prefer handguns. I like the challenge of accuracy with them.

Maybe I will just get a Marlin 60 for 90 bucks and call it a day. My kids are not very responsible.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #20
YardTime

YardTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Maybe I will just get a Marlin 60 for 90 bucks and call it a day. My kids are not very responsible.
There's nothing wrong with the Henry you asked about earlier either. It'd probably run you more money, though it's also probably a little better gun.