cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
So most people aren't willing to invest the time to learn the correct investing strategies in order to double their money every 9 months? Sign me up. Is there some kind of newsletter I should subscribe to?

Sadly, yes. And there are many newsletters willing to take your money if you think it's that simple.

If you're serious, I'd recommend "Options as a Strategic Investment" by Larry McMilan as a starting point. Though I suspect you're being facetious and don't think it's possible.

FWIW, my primary strategy is the same one Warren Buffet used when he first started.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no way investment strategy can yield a 100%+ annual return over the long haul. I triple dog dare you to provide any reputable source to verify this can be done.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There's no way investment strategy can yield a 100%+ annual return over the long haul. I triple dog dare you to provide any reputable source to verify this can be done.
Not sure what you'd consider a "reputable source". But the fact of the matter is it's being done. Sure, there are a lot more losers in the game than winners, but there are winners.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Not sure what you'd consider a "reputable source". But the fact of the matter is it's being done. Sure, there are a lot more losers in the game than winners, but there are winners.
If there are more losers than winners, then how do you think you're going to win more than average? Are you smarter than everyone else? Do you have access to more information? Luckier? Lot of smart guys with a lot of resources trying to do the same thing you are.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
If there are more losers than winners, then how do you think you're going to win more than average? Are you smarter than everyone else? Do you have access to more information? Luckier? Lot of smart guys with a lot of resources trying to do the same thing you are.
Not necessarily smarter, but the lion's share of retail options trading is people who really don't know what they are doing and might as well be in Vegas. Here's an interesting article from Forbes on the subject:

http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0604/152.html

To a large degree, the article agrees with you. However, they do discuss covered calls and protective puts towards the end and how they can be used to boost your returns. The primary strategy I use is a combination of the two.

Lots of people lose money in options because they attract the same type of "get rich quick" types as MLM, etc. But if you're serious about it, understand options pricing, the greeks, the Black-Scholes model, etc.; and not try to hit home runs every time at the plate, you can be successful.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Lots of people lose money in options because they attract the same type of "get rich quick" types as MLM, etc
Just thought of an example. I once attended an options trading seminar and got in a discussion with the guy next to me regarding covered calls. He said he didn't like them because the return was too low (only 5% or so per month). Perfect example of the retail options trader who has been sold the bill of goods by the seminar / dvd / newsletter providers that you can make enormous returns trading options directly.

These are the people that eventually lose it all and give options a bad rep.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
jay santos

Quote:
Just thought of an example. I once attended an options trading seminar and got in a discussion with the guy next to me regarding covered calls. He said he didn't like them because the return was too low (only 5% or so per month). Perfect example of the retail options trader who has been sold the bill of goods by the seminar / dvd / newsletter providers that you can make enormous returns trading options directly.

These are the people that eventually lose it all and give options a bad rep.
When it comes to investing, if you think you're going to get a return more than 1.5 x market average, you're in a get rick quick mentality, and IMHO you lack understanding of the market. You're talking 10 x market return vs 20+ x market return. You're in la la land as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #18
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
When it comes to investing, if you think you're going to get a return more than 1.5 x market average, you're in a get rick quick mentality, and IMHO you lack understanding of the market. You're talking 10 x market return vs 20+ x market return. You're in la la land as far as I'm concerned.

Okay. Have fun with your index funds. I guess I prefer la la land as the trades I closed this morning put me up 12.5% for the June options expiration period, and there is still two weeks left.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
Okay. Have fun with your index funds. I guess I prefer la la land as the trades I closed this morning put me up 12.5% for the June options expiration period, and there is still two weeks left.
Ask yourself this...

when you went to the options seminar, did you wonder why the guy or company teaching the seminar was giving away their secrets to you for peanuts compared to what they would make sitting home employing said options strategies?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #20
FMCoug

FMCoug

We're obviously going to have to agree to disagree on this. You obviously think I'm lying about my returns ... so be it.