cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 AM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I think Dana is still trying to keep the two leagues different and will instead try to set up super fights between the two like at the big New Year's fight, etc. I am not sure I agree with this approach. It'd be nice to see some old style tournaments to have guys content for title shots. I like the Liddell vs. Silva fight, but I don't think Silva is the same fighter he was either.

I don't think he can end boxing. It will always remain, but how significant it will be, I don't know. MMA though is riding more than just a wave and ESPN's coverage of the sport is indicative.
I love the Bushido events PRIDE puts on, the open weight, weight divisions, great, great events. Silva has been in some wars, and think he is at the tail end of his career. It will be interesting to see how he recovers from his recent knock out defeat.

I think MMA can render boxing insignificant. Have you seen the coverage UFC has received on the ESPN network shows, Sportscenter, specifically Rampage's interview? Great, great interview where he said that MMA is going to take over water polo and dirt bike racing.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
UFC lately is turning in the WWE of MMA. Liddell is the definition of a paper champion. Look at his last 5 fights and tell me one quality opponent.
You are right. I will not be satisfied until I see Fusnik fighting Liddell for the title. Only then will I know he has fought a quality opponent.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
You are right. I will not be satisfied until I see Fusnik fighting Liddell for the title. Only then will I know he has fought a quality opponent.
Really, isn't this just a glorified version of dogfighting ; )
Old 05-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #14
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Really, isn't this just a glorified version of dogfighting ; )
I was thinking cockfighting... but either way.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote