cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #51
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
If Mormons are not at least a little outraged by Huckabee then I am truly perplexed. My anecdotal experience in life teaches me that we tend to see "antis" everywhere and mostly where they don't exist.

Here we have a politician who has done some authentically anti-mormon things staring us right in the face. Loyalty to party is stronger than loyalty to faith? I wouldn't have predicted that.
We have to be pragmatic.

Yes Yuckabee is cartoonish and an outrage that people would vote for. But in Clinton, Obama and Edwards, those three economically represent the worst collection of candidates the Democratic Party has ever presented. Of middle class citizens, they will do more immediate harm than anybody else imaginable.

I know I've lost credibility on this issue by sounding so strident but nobody has sufficiently rebutted the bad economics of these candidates.

How does one pay for gross inflations of Welfare, Medicare and Universal Healthcare in a flat demographic era? And what drag upon the economy will that be?

These candidates spout political utopia but practice economic idiocy. We cannot afford their ideas. And I will shout it from the rooftop until we file bankruptcy.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #52
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
We have to be pragmatic.

Yes Yuckabee is cartoonish and an outrage that people would vote for. But in Clinton, Obama and Edwards, those three economically represent the worst collection of candidates the Democratic Party has ever presented. Of middle class citizens, they will do more immediate harm than anybody else imaginable.

I know I've lost credibility on this issue by sounding so strident but nobody has sufficiently rebutted the bad economics of these candidates.

How does one pay for gross inflations of Welfare, Medicare and Universal Healthcare in a flat demographic era? And what drag upon the economy will that be?

These candidates spout political utopia but practice economic idiocy. We cannot afford their ideas. And I will shout it from the rooftop until we file bankruptcy.

I would hope those so pissed at Huck because he ripped on mormons would consider the following. None of the dems will be our pals or join the church.

They will appoint judges however who will rule in disagreement to some of the basic statements the church has made. Really, in the realm of politics, they have made few and a liberal court will go against those wishes.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #53
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
One of the main differences, is that much of the rejection of the past is motivated more by embarrassment. Does Mitt Romney have doctrinal problems with polygamy, like I have doctrinal problems with the ban? I doubt it. Rather, he is *embarrassed* to stand before Babylon.

Joseph Smith was a heretic. A rebel. Unabashed. Bold. Revolutionary. Confident. He didn't parse his answers so as to most fit with the contemporary Christianity, like we see when we see half-truths or evasions in church press releases or on Larry King.

Where did that spirit go?

When my friends and colleagues have asked about polygamy, I don't apologize about it at all.
BTW Mike, a major defect in your characterization of JS is that he was anything but confident and unapologetic about polygamy. He practiced it in secret but then lied about it in public. Adamantly. That's one of the things that always bugged me about whole episode. If it truly was a commandment from God, why not publish the revelation and be open about it? Why all the secrecy and lying?

You really should nut it up and finish the last 200 pages of Rough Stone Rolling. You might be a little less mullah-ish about polygamy.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I would hope those so pissed at Huck because he ripped on mormons would consider the following. None of the dems will be our pals or join the church.

They will appoint judges however who will rule in disagreement to some of the basic statements the church has made. Really, in the realm of politics, they have made few and a liberal court will go against those wishes.
So Scalia is more in harmony with God? How?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #55
BYU71

Quote:
So Scalia is more in harmony with God? How?
Lets just say he is in more harmony with my God, I don't know about yours. Perhaps your faith would have you vote for Obama. That is fine with me.

Lets just say on social issues I will bet most mormons believe in my mormon God than believe in your mormon God.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Lets just say he is in more harmony with my God, I don't know about yours. Perhaps your faith would have you vote for Obama. That is fine with me.

Lets just say on social issues I will bet most mormons believe in my mormon God than believe in your mormon God.
Oh, you vote on social issues? I thought you were one of those economic conservatives. Never mind. I guess you are like the evangelicals.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #57
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Oh, you vote on social issues? I thought you were one of those economic conservatives. Never mind. I guess you are like the evangelicals.
If you are advocating Mormon tribalism, you must be like the evangelicals too.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If you are advocating Mormon tribalism, you must be like the evangelicals too.
My central theory is that the gospel must come first. And that when the tribe strays from the gospel, the tribe will be no more.

Key is the fact that this gospel is different and revolutionary. Not merely the parsed difference between a Lutheran and a Methodist.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #59
BYU71

Quote:

Actually I was making an appeal to the religious right within our faith to vote for Huck over Obama. I don't think I said exactly why I would vote for Huck over Obama. However, I will assure you right now it has little to do with faith.

I don't like abortion, gay marriage, socialized medicine, high taxes, kissing other countries butts, etc. and it doesn' involve my religious beliefs.

Heck, I hated hippies at a time when I wasn't religious at all.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #60
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Little provocations? Spare me your condescending bullshit.
I'm glad you picked up on that.

The leaders are pushing for assimilation and many rank-and-file are pushing back.

Again, go read the goddamn book before you condemn it.