cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick
Default Things that need to be fixed....

Tax Code
Social Security
National Debt

Cut out the loopholes. Don't make any special deals with anyone. Taxes are taxes. They don't have to be raised or lowered right now. Just fix it.

Social Security is going to break within the next 2-6 years. President Elect Obama is going to have to be the one to fix it, or its death will forever be tied to him. Not fair but that is how history is written.

National Debt. At my house if you are running low on money you cut back spending. I don't understand how this can't be a national principle. We need to spend less than we are bringing in.

Government has gotten way too big and needs to be scaled back.

McCain couldn't have fixed any of this, don't know if PE Obama can either, but it needs to be fixed and in a hurry.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
Tax Code
Social Security
National Debt

Cut out the loopholes. Don't make any special deals with anyone. Taxes are taxes. They don't have to be raised or lowered right now. Just fix it.

Social Security is going to break within the next 2-6 years. President Elect Obama is going to have to be the one to fix it, or its death will forever be tied to him. Not fair but that is how history is written.

National Debt. At my house if you are running low on money you cut back spending. I don't understand how this can't be a national principle. We need to spend less than we are bringing in.

McCain couldn't have fixed any of this, don't know if PE Obama can either, but it needs to be fixed and in a hurry.
Agreed, except in reverse order of priority. They can tax the crap out of me, as long as they'll leave me enough to live on, and they'll use the money to cut the debt and fix SS. My hesitation with higher taxes is that I'm not convinced they'll use the money for either (until absolutely forced to).
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Agreed, except in reverse order of priority. They can tax the crap out of me, as long as they'll leave me enough to live on, and they'll use the money to cut the debt and fix SS. My hesitation with higher taxes is that I'm not convinced they'll use the money for either (until absolutely forced to).
I think we are getting to the forced to point. Obama is going to have no choice but raise taxes and cut spending to get the mess turned around. I see no way that he will be re-elected.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I agree with the both of you.

I don't believe in cutting and running, but to fix the budget we are going to have to do that in Iraq and Afghanistan. And do it soon. Isn't the cost 1 Billion a day? Please. If they want us there then start cutting checks.

The first political party that actually starts to fix the debt and starts showing fiscal responsibility is a party that is going to win election after election.

I am just not sure this party exists at the moment.

We can't continue to operate in a deficit state.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
Tax Code
Social Security
National Debt

Medicare is up there, too. Not as big as SS, but it's much bigger than the bailout we just funded, and it will hit us first, in the next 1-3 years.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote