cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vs. Cal and Bronco's future`

On Saturday I discovered that I did not have the PAC 12 channel(s), but that I could get access to to it by paying $11 for the multisports pack on Dish. After a moment of consideration, I said "nah", not worth it. Don't feel like paying it for a meaningless game in a meaningless season. Don't feel like supporting the PAC 12 channel. I watched a recorded episode of "Gold Rush" instead. The only reality show I watch.

I did listen to the last couple of minutes of the game on the radio. Meh.

Beating a bad PAC team is a big win? These days it is. When it is a foregone conclusion that we would be blown out by Utah or Boise State.

I think there is now a broad consensus that we have seen the best that Bronco has to offer. It will be a little better some years, worse other years. But we got what we got. Pretty pedestrian recruiting, almost no kids going to the NFL, little in the way of innovative football thinking and scheming. Will usually win the games he should win, and very seldom will he upset any teams.

You put that in the context of being shut out of the P5, and it is pretty depressing. There is no future for bigtime BYU football. It will never happen unless God comes down from Olympus and makes it so.

I know there is a rumor or two out there that Bronco might step down. I don't see it. I don't think any bigtime programs are going to go after Bronco. And when he sees that, he will stay. Would Bronco leave for Kansas? Would he take on being a DC at Texas A&M? Doubtful.

Bronco stays. He fires Howell. We have Hill's senior season ahead of us (I don't think he goes into the draft, because there is no position he can play. He is not NFL ready and due to lack of passing ability, does not project as a QB draftee in first 3 rounds IMO).

After the first loss, hopes of a good bowl go out the window. Then it will be about Hill's Heisman hopes. And those could end fairly quickly as well.

When you combine lackluster recruits with mediocre development, assigned to a rigid and disciplined system, you get approx 70% wins against mediocre competition. That's all.

Is that enough?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who skipped the last four games leading to this one, I have to break with you.

A 9-4 season, without our top two yard producers, is a meaningful one, even with the competition level.

And in this game, Bronco did not get outcoached. The secondary kept everything in front of them, giving up moderately large plays in anticipation that the probability will allow some of those drives to be stopped. Cal, on the other hand, let us scorch them for TDs of 80, 50, 40, and 30 yards.

Also, that Lawler guy had 3 TDs in the first half. We were able to adjust to keep him out of the end zone in the second half with adjustments.

Plus the game was a thriller.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
ChinoCoug

There were some amazing plays. I would go back and watch the highlights. I am doing so to see what I missed from catching it from the stands.

And also, we put some good pressure on their QB.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
ChinoCoug

Highlights:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...52/byu-cougars
Old 12-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If they finish 9-4, it will be the least meaningful in history of BYU.

I was encouraged that Christian Stewart turned out half-decent, but it just points out how pedestrian a passer Taysom Hill is.

The winds are blowing hard against BYU, and Bronco is more affected than anyone.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

btw, Christian Stewart ended the season with a higher rating than Taysom Hill.

Chew on that for a moment. Senior walk-on nobody.

If Taysom could be a great pocket passer, could make reads, see 2nd and 3rd receivers, if he could pass on the run....he would be a sure-fire first round draft pick. Heck, he would be the first pick of the draft. I guess it's too much to ask someone to be that perfect. As it is, he is a great athlete.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Maybe it's my age and memory of watching BYU being a great passing team for many years, but I'm biased against running QBs who are mediocre to bad passers. Hill can be exciting, and is clearly a gifted athlete. It's just that I prefer QBs who can pass
Old 12-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In some ways I feel like this "balanced offense" by Anae is the worst thing that ever happened to the BYU football brand.

Nothing exciting. Nothing vertical. No craftiness. We are no longer the smart ones. We are the dumb ones.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

Taysom hits 66% of his passes. And he not only runs, he's fast. That's pretty dog-gone exciting.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Taysom hits 66% of his passes. And he not only runs, he's fast. That's pretty dog-gone exciting.
completion percentage alone doesn't say much in this case because 99% of his passes don't travel more than ten yards. Passing efficiency is a much better measure, and unheralded Christian Stewart has now surpassed Hill there for the season. I don't disagree that Hill can be exciting to watch, but 100% of that is running and not passing. He could also be exciting taking pitches in the backfield from a QB that can pass. No doubt he is a very gifted athlete, and even has a strong arm, but the accuracy never developed, IMO because he knows he has his running in his back pocket and doesn't look to go deeper in his passes because he'd rather run. The receivers running deeper routes have been there all season. Hill just can't or won't go there. I hope he does next year if he can come back from his injury.