cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My report on a case of the broken "Poly Pipeline" at BYU

I posted it on CB, on the offhand chance that I might have some influence on fandom and the program (yeah, I know, ridiculous notion).

But it really bothers me, this idea that we have a coach who doesn't work his butt off to recruit good LDS kids.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13535879

Quote:
I have mentioned my polynesian source in SoCal who has told me about soured relations between BYU and the best poly football players. I promised more details. Here they are.

I know the exact names of the players I am describing. But my source has asked that these players not be identified. I am only allowed to describe them in a way that would not lead to their direct identification.

Player #1 is a huge BYU fan. He was extremely interested in playing for BYU. When he reached out to the BYU coaches, he was told that they were not interested in visiting him in California. That he would not receive a visit. But that if he was interested in BYU, he would need to come to a BYU camp. This message was received with disappointment. The word used by my source is "snubbed." On the other hand, he did receive personalized attention from other coaches, including the coach of the team he signed with. The head coach of a consensus national top 5 program made a personal visit to meet him and his family. He signed with this team. A coach whom every football fan in America is familiar with. This player's love of BYU gave way in the face of top program making it very clear that he was wanted in their program.

Player #2 is the younger brother or cousin of Player #1. He's an even more highly regarded recruit. The fact that a top coach in America had visited his older relation made a huge impact on him. Since he was a better player, he had leverage. BYU did offer Player #2 and made visits. But this player was most interested in playing for a top football school, and there was no family tie to BYU. My source (who is a close relative to both these players) says Player #2 may have gone to BYU if Player #1 had. But without that, there was little chance. Player #2 signed with one of the top schools in the country. A historical top 10 program in the country.

He says that BYU comes in with the message "We are a unique university looking for unique individuals." Which is received poorly by the top talent. Because what they don't say is "We are a great football program looking for the best talent." The message isn't "excellence." It is "unique." These kids aspire to play in the NFL. They don't feel like BYU is looking for the best talent. And this has nothing to do with the honor code or their desire to follow it.

Should we be surprised by this? Of course not. Bronco Mendenhall has been very clear about his approach. He doesn't recruit players. Players recruit him (and BYU).

The word used by my source is "arrogance." The message doesn't work with the best poly talent. They see other programs and coaches working their butts off to get them to their schools. They don't see the same thing from BYU.

Some of you may try to determine who these players are. I won't acknowledge any post purporting to identify them. But it doesn't really matter who they are. I mean, we know we're not getting the best LDS talent, and we know that the "Poly Pipeline" is not what it should be.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Results?
Old 01-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Results?
There will be no results.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I was given a 7 day suspension for saying that this was offensive because it implied that top LDS polys don't want to live the gospel. That defines CB in a nutshell.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13538290
Old 01-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was given a 7 day suspension for saying that this was offensive because it implied that top LDS polys don't want to live the gospel. That defines CB in a nutshell.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13538290
Wow, that is bizarre that you can be suspended on CB for objecting to another post that clearly implies that LDS polys are less willing to go to a religious school that has an honor code. I agree that poster's implication is offensive. But I would bet I could have easily gotten away with doing what you did in calling that guy out. The boss there just wants you on a very short leash, is what it seems like to me. Maybe he was just afraid it would have led to a big discussion on ethnic stereotypes or something. Moronic posts that imply such things should be allowed on there to be challenged. Instead it just sits there for all to see unchallenged. Dumb. But then I guess the bright side is that nothing stays on CB for more than five minutes before it's buried on page 10.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-06-2015 at 06:46 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Wow, that is bizarre that you can be suspended on CB for objecting to another post that clearly implies that LDS polys are less willing to go to a religious school that has an honor code. I agree that poster's implication is offensive. But I would bet I could have easily gotten away with doing what you did in calling that guy out. The boss there just wants you on a very short leash, is what it seems like to me. Maybe he was just afraid it would have led to a big discussion on ethinic stereotypes or something. Dumb.
Who cares.

Just a reminder of why I originally left CB. Different philosophy. I don't mind of El Jefe disagrees with me, or even hates me. Just I don't like being shut down because he doesn't agree with my interpretation.

No matter, I feel like any contribution I make over there is a waste. Pearls before swine.

I have a strong familial connection with Polynesians. My grandfather lived in Polynesia. I have a Polynesian cousin. I served my mission with many Polynesians. I have lived in the Pacific.

I find the poster's implication to be offensive, and I said so.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
BlueK

Quote:
Who cares.

Just a reminder of why I originally left CB. Different philosophy. I don't mind of El Jefe disagrees with me, or even hates me. Just I don't like being shut down because he doesn't agree with my interpretation.

No matter, I feel like any contribution I make over there is a waste. Pearls before swine.

I have a strong familial connection with Polynesians. My grandfather lived in Polynesia. I have a Polynesian cousin. I served my mission with many Polynesians. I have lived in the Pacific.

I find the poster's implication to be offensive, and I said so.
He shouldn't have shut you or anyone else down for challenging that guy's statement, even if he doesn't agree with your interpretation of what he said.

But going back to the original topic, I think the last recruiting class since Martzen took over as recruiting coordinator seems to indicate that BYU has finally changed the approach over Bronco's earlier years. Now they have a non-LDS guy searching out players, LDS or not, who seem to be a good fit for what BYU needs and is. The preliminary results are promising. Players like Jordan Leslie are a great example of the kinds of non-LDS guys who fit BYU well personally and also represent the school well. They are out there and we need them, along with the best LDS talent. I think it's forcing them to be more pro-active in their recruiting across the board because they have to be to get those non-LDS guys Martzen is finding. The problem is it is going to take a few years before this apparent change in philosophy makes a big difference on the field.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-06-2015 at 07:11 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

that seems to be the consensus on CB. Things are changed now.

It's just crazy that someone can go on as head coach that long and not pay real attention to recruiting.

And I don't think Bronco suddenly enjoys recruiting or is out busting his balls recruiting.

For this reason alone I would like to see him replaced.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
BlueK

Quote:
that seems to be the consensus on CB. Things are changed now.

It's just crazy that someone can go on as head coach that long and not pay real attention to recruiting.

And I don't think Bronco suddenly enjoys recruiting or is out busting his balls recruiting.

For this reason alone I would like to see him replaced.
I agree that whatever improvement in recruiting we've seen last last year or so probably isn't sustainable if Bronco hasn't changed his basic philosophy about it. If he hasn't, then I agree it's probably time for him to move on.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think Bronco is a genius. He doesn't like recruiting. He doesn't like begging teens to come to BYU, knowing that most won't come anyway (such is the nature of recruiting). He hates the 24/7 phone calls and text messages, hates the time away from his family.

So he said "screw it, we'll just go after the ones that want to come here. Cuts down on the work, and we'll get about as good as guys as we got before."

Then he couches this philosophy in religious window dressing. Only the righteous will come. And the blue chippers who don't come, well, they probably don't have righteous desires.

The mullahs eat it up. And in the meantime, Bronco gets to sit down with his family at dinner and not have to do the same kinds of things that the Sabans and Meyers have to do.

Unfortunately this philosophy compounds on itself, because now you don't put anyone into the NFL. And that in and of itself is a huge warning sign to all good recruits. You're better off going to MWC Boise State than BYU, and that's God's truth.