cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in sports situations like this--basketball. You raise the level of physicality to 1) what you feel like, 2) what gives you an advantage, 3) to the level of your opponent, 4) less than the level that causes injury, 5) less than the level that really pisses off your opponent. Assuming that this is pickup ball. If it's organized ball, then it's about what the refs will allow.

If it's church ball you stay outside the three point line and try to avoid any contact whatsoever. Crazy people who don't know how to play. But they do know how to hurt you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It is painful to see another season go down the tubes as the Utes fly high. Predictably, BYU fails to adjust, is outcoached and BYU is relegated to the netherworld of college football.

I predicted TM's limited knowledge of the playbook would get the blame, but now that Michigan has diagrammed how to annihilate the Cougs, it will be interesting how many teams can replicate that performance.

I am truly doubtful that we have a staff capable of producing a memorable season. The staff is capable of delivering 8 and 5 seasons galore and an occasional 9 and 3 or rarely a 10 and 2. It is unlikely we will ever see a 1 or 0 loss team with this coaching staff. And please shoot me the next time I start believing BYU has competent receivers. I fell for it again.
I've lost a lot of interest in college football in general just because of the 1 loss and your season is trash mentality the BCS created. It's not just BYU fans that feel the season is over after one bad game. On the other hand, maybe we should go with the the Boise State model of only playing one good team per year. This year the team was us and we beat them. I think that's kind of funny actually.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

the only solution is to be in a P5 conference. And to have a good program within that conference. Maybe not perennial champions, but a product that is at least competitive and intriguing.

As it is, we are neither relevant nor intriguing.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the only solution is to be in a P5 conference. And to have a good program within that conference. Maybe not perennial champions, but a product that is at least competitive and intriguing.

As it is, we are neither relevant nor intriguing.
This year we were actually relevant and intriguing until the Michigan game. That probably wasn't going to last forever, but we were talked about in a mostly positive way for the first three weeks. Now we're irrelevant, but so is almost every team really. I mean, who cares about anyone but the small handful of teams that have a shot at the playoffs. Being in a P5 league would certainly make it easier to stay relevant. With our luck as far as conference realignment goes, we'd join the Big 12 on the day before the other leagues pick it apart and cause it to implode.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-30-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #15
BlueK

I'm turned off on college football in general. The BCS was a very, very bad thing for the sport. I've heard and read arguments to the contrary, but not convincing ones. the CFP is better, but they have to expand it before it will really make much of a difference in making the sport more interesting. I just don't follow it nearly as much as I used to, and every year I probably follow it less. I think those who say college football is great because "every game counts" or whatever other nonsense they come up with to justify how college football currently does the post season are idiots.

I pay some attention to college football because of BYU, but that's the only reason. And other than the last game, I've enjoyed the season so far, but we'll see how long it lasts. I hope BYU can bounce back. They haven't lost me for this year yet, but if they start dropping games to the UConn's and San Jose States, I'll be done for this season. I've never considered myself to be fair weather, but in football I'm not nearly as invested as I once was. I guess a lot of it for me probably also has to do with liking basketball more than football. It's just a more interesting sport to me. To each his own.

I'm also not generally a Bronco basher. I probably give him more leeway because of how awful the Crowton years were. On the other hand, I think while he brought up the program from the absolute dregs, the recent plateauing at 8 wins a year has taken its toll. Who knows, maybe the current landscape and BYU not being in a P5 league makes it unrealistic to expect us to do 9 or 10 wins every year.

On the other hand, I seem to enjoy BYU basketball every year no matter what, even if we lose in the tournament. Unlike some, I'd rather get there and lose than not got there at all. A nothing bowl game against a 6-6 team means nothing to me, but just being part of March Madness still does. Yes, I get that we aren't exactly elite there either. But for whatever reason I have a lot more fun with it. Of course Rose's teams so far haven't lit the NCAA tournament on fire, but no BYU team or coach ever has in the last 100 years.

But at least our 18 year drought of zero tournament wins ended during Rose's tenure, and I am excited about the players coming into the program. I expect some fun post seasons in the next few years. We have never had as many 4-star players as we will have over the next few years. It's quite possible we could have as eight 4-star players on the team within 2-3 years. Imagine if two-thirds of the football team were 4-star talent. We wouldn't be losing to teams like Michigan 31-0 with 100 yards of offense.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-30-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I watch BYU games. A&M games (if they are not playing a doormat). And Dallas Cowboys games.

I'm not interested in other teams. Like SEC matchup of the week. Or TCU vs. Baylor. But there are lots of people who like that stuff.

I imagine that if BYU were in the Big 12, I would be more interested in watching the other Big 12 teams (fan scouting).
Old 10-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #17
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Why can't we adjust before the game is over?

Michigan: DBs roughing our tall WRs.

Florida State: Their 270 lb. OT and OGs running past our 300 lb. DTs and locking themselves on our LBs.

TCU: Trick plays.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I watch BYU games. A&M games (if they are not playing a doormat). And Dallas Cowboys games.

I'm not interested in other teams. Like SEC matchup of the week. Or TCU vs. Baylor. But there are lots of people who like that stuff.

I imagine that if BYU were in the Big 12, I would be more interested in watching the other Big 12 teams (fan scouting).
I like lots of different stuff, but nothing more than BYU. Every year I suffer disappointment, but I come back for more.