cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So would you intervene and save his life, under the theory that the church would be better off with Joseph surviving?
My gut feeling, and looking at it strictly academically/intellectually with no acknowledgement of the hand of God in things, I would say church is better off today (in terms of church membership, respectability, financial strength, growth, etc.) with Joseph dying a young martyr's death, church moving west, and Brigham Young moving the church forward than had Joseph lived a long life.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think JS had to be martyred to make the whole thing have wheels long term. It would be fun in some ways to start a religion. The sex and the windbaggery would be a blast. Having to orchestrate your own violent death would not be fun.

Note that Christianity's three seminal leaders/founders, Jesus, Peter and Paul, were all martryed. It makes a big difference.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The Mormon church what it is today is probably 50/50 weight between the visions and revelation of Joseph and the exodus to the west and the Brigham Young era.

I can't imagine what it would be like had Joseph lived to an old age. The church would be completely different today.
I am with Jay here. If you want to view things in terms of long-term impact on the church, then the martyrdom was a critical part of our history. I believe it galvanized the members and elevated the impact of what Joseph had done. I don't think anything he could have done after that point would have had the same impact.

There were several comments on this topic in the recent PBS special as I recall.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, Utah would have never become a state and you and FM would not have that to gripe about.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

What would you do Mike?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #16
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Makes for the best "3 Nephites" story ever!

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
What would you do Mike?
Don't you think changing history is dangerous?

I've been thinking about this today, and I've come to the conclusion that today's church is more influenced by BY than it is JS. In other words, BY is more essential to the church than JS, in terms of practice, theology, beliefs, politics, basically every aspect of the church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 AM   #18
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Don't you think changing history is dangerous?

I've been thinking about this today, and I've come to the conclusion that today's church is more influenced by BY than it is JS. In other words, BY is more essential to the church than JS, in terms of practice, theology, beliefs, politics, basically every aspect of the church.
I agree with this. It's interesting to think about how the church would be different if it had stayed in MO or IL. I wonder if it would have done as well if it were mingled with civilization from the start, and if it had done as well I wonder if it would be more influential or considered more "normal" if it hadn't been on an island for so long.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote