cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default True spirit of missionary work

http://www.ldsmag.com/churchupdate/070620army.html

I often regret not engaging in this act of unconditional service on my mission.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

Our 4 hours a week of service was always somethign like this. The mission had different things set up in different areas. Never even considered the "do a good turn" thing as part of the 4 hours.

In the areas I was in, I did everything from work at a hospital moving patients around to working with the kids sports program at the Salvation Army.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:

nice article!
my favorite part is "People call and say, when are those nice boys going to come and brings those papers to our place?"
i bet we have the same thing here too....some girls and guys would help cleaning mosques following thier Imams and doing all the job around when the month of feast (Ramadan) is coming .
everybody wishs they would keep giveing such a service all the time
"Army of God"!!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

In my mission, I would have been reprimanded for doing something like this because it was cutting into my "finding" hours. From my perspective, I would have MUCH rather have done acts of service than knock on doors endlessly and fruitlessly.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
In my mission, I would have been reprimanded for doing something like this because it was cutting into my "finding" hours. From my perspective, I would have MUCH rather have done acts of service than knock on doors endlessly and fruitlessly.
Note to Meridian magazine: Anacostia is not in Virginia.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
VAX77

VAX77
Default Missionary work

On my mission, my comp and I got permission from my president to help out athletic programs at two high schools. My comp was a pole-vaulter so we helped out with the track teams and then both helped with weight lifting and some football drills. The atheltic director at one school was from Mesa, not LDS, but was familiar with the church. He said he had just been "praying" for help with his track team-specifically pole-vaulting. We showed up that day and the rest is hitory. Two pole-vaulters placed in state, improving quite a bit. The weight lifting was cool. We had so many of the kids ask us questions about everything. Many had no idea what we did and why we did it. We would run laps and drills with them, while talking about life and stuff like that. We specifically never had any structured teaching or movement toward baptism, we avoided that while on school grounds. Our thoughts were that it improved visibility and provided exposure to the church in a very positive way. Many of the high school students knew who we were and were not "weirded" out by us. They would yell out "Elders!" whenever they saw us from a distance, at school or not. The added bonus was we got an extra ~6 hours a week lifting, running, having fun, besides p-days, and it was more productive than a lot of others things we could have been doing in a very wealthy, predominately Jewish area of Westchester county, New York.
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote