cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps it won't stop the (deserved) taunting, but it may cause a bit of guilt afterwards.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Game....

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
We are Utah's Bitch! It is official.

This is why I need CougarGuard. Because this is exactly how I feel.
Sad, but true....

How can I face my Ute in-laws now?
Simple. Be gracious and admit that you were lucky to marry their daughter.
LOL. Touche'

Well guys. I have a confession to make. Last night I was faced with the decision to stay up late and watch the game or go to bed and get up early to play raquetball. I decided to DVR the game and go with raquetball. Wise choice, it appears.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
I am not going to be the slightest bit optimistic about BYUs chances against yewtah in any game in fb or bb ever again.

That pretty much sums it up for me.
is anyone surprised?

im not.....they got rolled a month ago but a crappy team at the huntman center and they have been playing with fire all year long it was bound to catch up to them...

they are not your typical 20 win, 12 win conference team, they are more on the level of a .500 team who had its up and downs in conference play.....

unfortunately utah is every bit as good as byu is this year, difference is the ball bounced byus way this year and didnt for utah.....

i wouldnt be surprised if utah makes a run and gets the auto bid, it might actually be good for the conference as that might be the only way the mwc gets 2 teams in....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Quote:
I am not going to be the slightest bit optimistic about BYUs chances against yewtah in any game in fb or bb ever again.

That pretty much sums it up for me.
is anyone surprised?

im not.....they got rolled a month ago but a crappy team at the huntman center and they have been playing with fire all year long it was bound to catch up to them...

they are not your typical 20 win, 12 win conference team, they are more on the level of a .500 team who had its up and downs in conference play.....

unfortunately utah is every bit as good as byu is this year, difference is the ball bounced byus way this year and didnt for utah.....

i wouldnt be surprised if utah makes a run and gets the auto bid, it might actually be good for the conference as that might be the only way the mwc gets 2 teams in....
I, for one, am not surprised. I've seen this movie too many times before. BYU playing like world beaters until they play utah. utah comes out with the red hot intensity of 10,000 suns and BYU comes out playing like they just got back from Chuck-O-Rama. BYU loses. Repeat.

I have a theory why this happens, or at least why it happens easily to BYU: The rivalry exists mainly between the two fan bases. The yewts sports teams seem to have a much greater connection to their fan base(for whatever reason) than BYU does to theirs so they can plug into the flaming hatred that yewts have for BYU. BYU cannot, for some reason, do this with their fan base and the teams just don't feel the same contempt for the yewts that the yewts do for them. And there is the disparity in preparation and intensity.

I think its a bit unfair to characterize the difference between the two teams records as 'just the way the ball bounces(except maybe for the first tcu game).' The difference has been the way BYU has been able to execute down the stretch and utah hasn't. Until last night, anyways. See above.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:42 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I have a theory why this happens, or at least why it happens easily to BYU: The rivalry exists mainly between the two fan bases. The yewts sports teams seem to have a much greater connection to their fan base(for whatever reason) than BYU does to theirs so they can plug into the flaming hatred that yewts have for BYU. BYU cannot, for some reason, do this with their fan base and the teams just don't feel the same contempt for the yewts that the yewts do for them. And there is the disparity in preparation and intensity.
I can agree with this. As a Utah fan, I will admit that the BYU game is always marked on the calendar because of the rivalry. Of course, this doesn't mean that I would consider it a successful season each time Utah beats BYU. On the contrary - if Utah were to go 1-10 in football with the opnly win against BYU, the season would still suck, but I'd be happy with that one win.

I'm not sure why BYU athletics - and it seems a large part of it's fans as well - seem to view Utah as just another game. It isn't. Utah and BYU are rivals and BYU only has itself to blame for not getting up for each game. I have a good neighbor who is a rather ardent BYU fan and he tries to give me a hard time by claiming that, in his opinion, it's just another game for BYU but to Utah it's the season. I just laugh at him and ask him why he's in such a pissy mood after each loss to Utah, if it's just another game.

Until BYU accepts this as a rivalry game, Utah will continue to win, especially now that both teams are pretty much on equal ground when it comes to football (with Utah perhaps gaining and edge now) and Utah still having an edge in basketball.

Rivalries are what make college athletics so great. BYU is missing out on all the fun.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU is no fun right now. We've endured too many sucky seasons. Instead of gaining fans, we're bleeding fans.

Our administration doesn't understand the importance of athletics in tying the alumni to the school. Administration relies upon religion to tie its alumni to it; thereby giving short shrift to athletics.

Our inadequate athletic performance takes its cue from administration. Until administration places some importance on athletic performance to motivate the alumni, BYU will continue to suck on the field and the court.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:22 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

It would seem that the days of Church affiliation to attract fans is no longer as strong as it was. I'd be curious to know how many of you good people who grew up outside of Utah would be BYU fans had you not been raised in or converted to the LDS Church.

Another thought: perhaps the BYU administration is recognizing that in the grand scheme of things, intercollegiate athletics just isn't that important. It's no funto think that as a fan, but it is correct.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:23 AM   #18
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Another thought: perhaps the BYU administration is recognizing that in the grand scheme of things, intercollegiate athletics just isn't that important. It's no funto think that as a fan, but it is correct.

Don't you wish that the yewt admin viewed it the same way?

And you're right. Its no fun.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:31 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Don't you wish that the yewt admin viewed it the same way?And you're right. Its no fun.
This is the advantage that the "LDS Ute fan" has. We get the benefit of knowing the proper perspective of life and we get the bonus of following a team that is run by folks who care about athletics.

:wink: