cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
shabu shabu.
My favorite INXS album.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Me too. We call it "cigarette butt tea".
I used so say the Japanese had found a way to make burnt water.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I like Mugicha. Cold, with no sweeteners or any other additives.
Is there any other way to drink it?

Warm Kombu-cha is nice.

Otherwise, I hate all teas, herbal or otherwise.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like Mugicha. Cold, with no sweeteners or any other additives.
Love mugicha. It's called boricha in Korea. Same stuff.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was asked if it was against the WoW yesterday by a member.

I know it is against the WoW in Japan. I heard from a friend who went on a mission to S. Korea, that it is not against the WoW there.
Incorrect about Korea. It is against WoW there also.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Incorrect about Korea. It is against WoW there also.
Wasn't when I was there...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Because the LDS Church and it's teachings are the same in all countries, the real question ought to be whether green tea is against the Word of Wisdom, regardless of country.

The Word of Wisdom mentions hot drinks. People have interpreted it to mean coffee and tea, but not hot chocolate. Apparently, caffeinated soft drinks are ok. Perhaps iced green tea would be as well.

Who knows?

If I have an upset stomach, I'll have a cup of green tea and I don't sweat it much.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The Word of Wisdom mentions hot drinks. People have interpreted it to mean coffee and tea, but not hot chocolate. Apparently, caffeinated soft drinks are ok. Perhaps iced green tea would be as well.
I applaud the fact that the church has declined in any official way to be more specific. I think that a huge proportion of the membership would be very happy to get back to the level of specificity that the Jews in Jesus day had. Can't eat off of a cracked plate. Can only take a certain number of steps on the sabbath. You break your fast if you swallow your saliva. That is an impulse that has to be actively resisted and for the most part I think the brethren do a good job.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I applaud the fact that the church has declined in any official way to be more specific. I think that a huge proportion of the membership would be very happy to get back to the level of specificity that the Jews in Jesus day had. Can't eat off of a cracked plate. Can only take a certain number of steps on the sabbath. You break your fast if you swallow your saliva. That is an impulse that has to be actively resisted and for the most part I think the brethren do a good job.
Agreed.

It seems that there are portions of the WofW that are left to personal interpretation. It makes us think for ourselves and leaves a bit of wiggle room for areas that are not so specific.

I've always felt that it's more something to test obedience than anything else, especially when it comes to alcohol and other drinks.

It's like posting a "Do not touch because the electricity may or may not be on" sign on a regular chain link fence to see if anyone is willing to just not touch the fence because of the sign. You might not get shocked if you touch it, but by touching it, you ignored the warning.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Was going to post something very similar.

There's something to be said for making an attempt as a representative of the church to ensure you're not doing something that will offend members who feel one way or the other (for example, the missionaries being told when I was in Korea to not drink Green Tea because many members were being offended by them breaking the WoW).

For the rest of us, who aren't official representatives of the church, each of us should understand that where specifics aren't given, we're to prayerfully decide where the 'lines' lie, and that we shouldn't condemn those who decide differently.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote