cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I bet El Paso, that you will be the one most upset when your bishop strays from the handbook. Just a prediction.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Default You paint me as some apostate . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't think you are a honest questioner, but I will answer your question anyway.

It's because they are tired of answering questions.

It's because someone who has been bishop for one month doesn't really know what to do.

It's because we don't have a bishop training center in Provo where Bishops go for one month.

It's because the church wants all its wards regulated and run in similar manners.

etc, etc. I'm sorry that reading the handbook damaged what little testimony you have, but that was pretty predictable that would respond that way.
who is pretending to act innocently. Sure, I've made it clear that I have very serious doubts about the truthfulness of Joseph Smith and the restoration. However, that doesn't mean that I've left the Church or think most people here are brainwashed. Reading the Handbook didn't weaken my testimony. I was just surprised at how regulated Church operations are. I would be very surprised if any other church had a handbook that was as detailed as the LDS Handbook is. However, I could be wrong.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Coug View Post
I was just surprised at how regulated Church operations are. I would be very surprised if any other church had a handbook that was as detailed as the LDS Handbook is. However, I could be wrong.
In spite of our lay clergy I doubt any other church is run like a big business as well. Other may be in it solely for the money but nobody does it as well. Every ward is like a franchise.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I am pressured much more about home teaching than I am tithing.

Where is the public display of giving to the church, such as a collection plate?

If the church were about collecting money, they could do a much better job using shame.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Default The shame part is tithing settlement

Quote:
I am pressured much more about home teaching than I am tithing.

Where is the public display of giving to the church, such as a collection plate?

If the church were about collecting money, they could do a much better job using shame.
Members don't want to be required to look the Bishop in the face and say that they aren't full tithe payers. Tithing settlement does a very good job of collecting money. If you don't sign up, you'll get a call from the executive secretary to make sure everyone is accounted for.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Members don't want to be required to look the Bishop in the face and say that they aren't full tithe payers. Tithing settlement does a very good job of collecting money. If you don't sign up, you'll get a call from the executive secretary to make sure everyone is accounted for.
not in my ward. I was the ES and I never called anyone. And the number of people who attended was low.

In fact, for a couple of years, I was a FTP and I didn't attend.

Additionally it is never made public who attended and who didn't.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Default Your ward is different than my wards

Quote:
not in my ward. I was the ES and I never called anyone. And the number of people who attended was low.

In fact, for a couple of years, I was a FTP and I didn't attend.

Additionally it is never made public who attended and who didn't.
I've been in the same ward for 8 years and we have had 3 different Bishops. Every one of them has made sure every active member comes into tithing settlement. If you don't sign up, you get a phone call. Perhaps my ward is stricter than others on this.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've been in the same ward for 8 years and we have had 3 different Bishops. Every one of them has made sure every active member comes into tithing settlement. If you don't sign up, you get a phone call. Perhaps my ward is stricter than others on this.
ANd these rather marked differences are allowed to occur in a church governed by the detalied procedures in the HOI? Vive la difference.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Tithing settlement, ppi's and Saturday evening stake conference. These three just seem so unnecessary to me I won't go.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Tithing settlement, ppi's and Saturday evening stake conference. These three just seem so unnecessary to me I won't go.
You left out Sunday School and ward activities.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote