cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dispensing with some nonsense I have read ...

Talks don’t drive people away. Such a notion is ridiculous; it is an attempt to rationalize ones’ own decision not to actively participate. It is excuse making. People who do not actively participate or who leave the church all together are responsible ALONE for such a decision.

Many simply decide this is the best course of action for them and their family etc. They might site situations where they were offended, isolated, hurt, but ultimately admit that it was their choice. I am grateful for the honesty.

Unfortunately many others simply prefer to place blame –to deride and attempt to compel others to placate and supply justification for their decision making. Such dishonesty frustrates me.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Talks don’t drive people away. Such a notion is ridiculous; it is an attempt to rationalize ones’ own decision not to actively participate. It is excuse making. People who do not actively participate or who leave the church all together are responsible ALONE for such a decision.

Many simply decide this is the best course of action for them and their family etc. They might site situations where they were offended, isolated, hurt, but ultimately admit that it was their choice. I am grateful for the honesty.

Unfortunately many others simply prefer to place blame –to deride and attempt to compel others to placate and supply justification for their decision making. Such dishonesty frustrates me.
Overstated or overemphasized claims by Church officials can drive a wedge into the psyches of members who are struggling with concepts.

If a woman, who has spiritual inclinations, but a need to work outside the home, hears constantly, "You women who work outside the home are evil" more or less, that will drive a wedge. It will isolate that woman from the Church.

It's not nonsense.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Overstated or overemphasized claims by Church officials can drive a wedge into the psyches of members who are struggling with concepts.

If a woman, who has spiritual inclinations, but a need to work outside the home, hears constantly, "You women who work outside the home are evil" more or less, that will drive a wedge. It will isolate that woman from the Church.

It's not nonsense.
Talks can drive people away. That isn't saying they should or shouldn't, but to say they don't is being ignorant of fact.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
tooblue

Quote:

It's not nonsense.
At what point do we stand up and hold ourselves accountable for our choices, actions and behavior Archea?

It is nonsense. You won't stand for it politics -at any level of government. From the sounds of it you won't stand for it in your own home with your children. Why the double standard?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It's not nonsense.
Just like a talk that says "You may feel like you are on the fringe of the church, that you don't have a place in this church. I assure you that you do, that you are wanted, we need you. The church has a big tent, and the stakes of zion are to be enlarged"---this may draw people in. (My stake president has given such a talk in my ward).

It would be ridiculous to argue that a talk couldn't help the disaffected. It's also ridiculous to say the opposite may not occur.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It's not nonsense.
Tooblue makes a valid point. People choose to be driven away. They may use a repeated talk as an excuse to justify it, but they still choose to walk away.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Ignorance. Obfuscation. Denial of reality.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Talks can drive people away. That isn't saying they should or shouldn't, but to say they don't is being ignorant of fact.
It's not about being ignorant -it's about proper perspective. The talk does not drive them away, it provides the excuse, the rationalization to choose to walk away.

And what of agency? Do these people forfeit agency because they listened to a talk?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
At what point do we stand up and hold ourselves accountable for our choices, actions and behavior Archea?

It is nonsense. You won't stand for it politics -at any level of government. From the sounds of it you won't stand for it in your own home with your children. Why the double standard?
I'm not speaking that a talk will drive me away physically, but talks do drive wedges psychologically and then I just dismiss the importance of the talk and move on. However, I am concerned about the disaffected. JL and Indy think good riddance. I do not. I wish the Church would reach out to the disaffected.

If you are strong, it behooves you to aid those who are not.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
It's not about being ignorant -it's about proper perspective. The talk does not drive them away, it provides the excuse, the rationalization to choose to walk away.

And what of agency? Do these people forfeit agency because they listened to a talk?
If it helps your conscience to believe nothing you do harms them and that they are ultimately responsible for their own actions, then so be it. They all make their own decisions and we should do everything can to offend them. Feel better?