cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #41
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
read books about the ancient temple in Israel; it'll help you see the temple in the context of the fullness of times.

you'll see that, as in days of old, rituals are representations of a way of life.
I don't understand your statement. Are you trying to say that because people had strange temple rituals in ancient, primitive cultures, we should realize that having strange temple rituals in modern times is a good thing?

I'm not saying that the temple serves no purpose. I'm just wondering what ancient strange rituals have to do with modern strange rituals.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:50 AM   #42
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Just my thought. Of course, I'm the one struggling with the concept of temple work in the first place. So preface all of that with..."if this temple thing is really what they claim it is,"
I would start with Corinthians 11: 7 and the apparant contradiction between the instruction found in that verse and what we encounter in the temple. In other words I feel that personal interpretation of 'what the temple really is' is the most important aspect of the worship.

Temple work for the 'dead' to me is silly and nonsensical.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 AM   #43
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I would start with Corinthians 11: 7 and the apparant contradiction between the instruction found in that verse and what we encounter in the temple. In other words I feel that personal interpretation of 'what the temple really is' is the most important aspect of the worship.

Coming from someone who has no business being in the temple to begin with.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 AM   #44
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Religion is silly and nonsensical, except it can generate an idealism within people that propels humanity to new heights, and that is what makes religion true.

On the other hand, corrupt religion is capable of driving humanity to new lows.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:13 AM   #45
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Start playing your fantasy team asshat.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:29 AM   #46
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Start playing your fantasy team asshat.
Are you playing your team? It's hard to tell.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #47
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
One of my best conversion stories I witnessed from my mission was a Muslim gal. She was Nigerian and quite professional. I believe she had a Masters and worked for the British Government counselling girls with really screwed up lives. She had 5 children and was a single mom. She even owned her own minivan, which was both a miracle for a limey and a sign that she was trully "elect." She was tracted out by a young elder who was training after only being on a mission for two months. The were both young kids but could not answer her questions and were a bit intimidated by her. The trainer asked me to go with him on splits whenever they taught her. She was really on the ball and we got into her job and how she would counsel girls to get abortions and how that type of work would square up with Church expectations. There are some very complicated issues that she faced professionally and I just shared my opinion that all things in life are not black and white and she should follow her conscience, confide with her Bishop if she felt it neccesary and to be careful with what members she shares her experiences. Trully trying to resolve her concerns was the highpoint of my mission as I look back.

One thing that really impressed me about her was her baptism. Her family, devout muslims but not militant like mindful, came to the event but many were none to happy about it. Despite them being of a more liberal fabric within Islam, many of her kin felt that she was abandoning her culture by this monumental change via her conversion to a Christian Faith. Whenever I saw her dressed she dressed like a European professional. However, when she exited the baptistry after her baptism, she was wearing the most radiant and colorful tribal gown I had ever seen. It really had a powerful impact on her family and from the moment she came out of the baptistry it genuinely seemed like their concerns just faded away and they were not only accepting of her but very friendly and engaging to the missionaries as well.
Great! who says Goatnapper'96 cannot tell good stories ??

militant mindful?? it took me back ..its been a long time since my military training ...i do think i should brush it up ...all i remember now is "Gun is heavy".
Old 10-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #48
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

reading steelblue ,bluegooes ,goatnapper'96 stories about muslims inverted islam i would appreciate a thread dedicating to the topic.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #49
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What people are you helping? Do you sincerely believe that a just God makes one's salvation dependent on an imperfect people doing imperfect temple work?
Their salvation is dependent on their receiving all of the saving ordinances. At this moment in time, he's chosen to use imperfect people doing imperfect temple work for this purpose.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #50
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
reading steelblue ,bluegooes ,goatnapper'96 stories about muslims inverted islam i would appreciate a thread dedicating to the topic.
Hon, this board is a western European Judeo Christian webpage based upon the LDS religion. Womenfolk in our parts are responsible for the color of the shirt that our sons wear to Church on sunday and to, in the immortal words of Rulon Jeffs, "stay sweet." We don't need any of you uppity Muslim chicks to come and start requesting to start your own threads. The beauty of our society is that in addition to not having homosexuality there is no conflict between the genders as our babes know their damn place!

Your country doesn't even have doctors who give you folks a little more bounce for the ounce under your burkhas. You get back to us when your land experiences a proliferation of sales for sports bras. It is all about the ta-ta.

In the immortal words of that great American rock band Grim Reaper, "I will see you in hell my friend!"