cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens in Happy Valley. IIRC, UM has completely owned Penn State over the last decade.
It's been about 15 years since PSU beat Michigan in football, although they've been close a couple of times. Penn State is tough as hell at home; it's homecoming week; people around here are really excited that "this is finally the year" to get that monkey off the back.

I predict Michigan gets rocked.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
It's been about 15 years since PSU beat Michigan in football, although they've been close a couple of times. Penn State is tough as hell at home; it's homecoming week; people around here are really excited that "this is finally the year" to get that monkey off the back.

Michigan is going to get it handed to them. Penn St. is a really good football team. They a great quarterback with talent and speed at the other skill positions on Offense and a really good D. They could easily find themselves in the BCS title game this year.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Penn State should be licking their chops. They have lost 9 straight at home to Michigan. Last year Michigan was 0-2 with a loss to Appalachian State and Oregon in consecutive weeks, when they beat a ranked Penn State team.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Michigan is going to get it handed to them. Penn St. is a really good football team. They a great quarterback with talent and speed at the other skill positions on Offense and a really good D. They could easily find themselves in the BCS title game this year.
Yeah, it's just too bad that Darryll Clark is a senior and only now coming into his own. But at least Royster's got a couple of years left. Now if they can just keep their defense out of jail.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

sorry to thread-jack, but if Penn State wins this year's national Championship, does Paterno retire?
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
sorry to thread-jack, but if Penn State wins this year's national Championship, does Paterno retire?
I think Paterno will retire only when he dies.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 AM   #17
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
I don't know - there's a bit of a groundswell for him to step aside. His contract is up at the end of the year and he doesn't yet have one for next year. He's getting pretty frail, and people don't want him carried out on a stretcher. There's no sense that he must go. It's more from concern that he's going to kill himself off.

He doesn't do all that much coaching anymore, but he's great for recruiting and fund-raising.

From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08282/918206-13.stm

This is from the school newspaper:http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...ng_mortal.aspx
Old 10-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #18
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Isn't it possible that Utah beating Michigan at their place made Michigan a worse team and made Toledo's job easier? Conversely, maybe Utah's close win gave the team the confidence it needed to beat its next 6 opponents. To claim that Toledo's win over UM somehow denigrates the importance of Utah's win at the time is a waste of time.
Too complicated. Michigan was terrible at the time they played the utes and they are terrible now.

When Michigan played the utes, they looked like one of the worst teams in the country. They then went out and lost to a horrible Notre Dame team - they got blown out. They then beat Wisconsin (at the time thought to be a decent team) - their confidence should be sky high and they should be playing to the best of their ability after that. Well, that is true - their confidence was high and they played to the best of their ability, but still lost, at home, to Toledo. They are just a bad football team and have been all season.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Too complicated. Michigan was terrible at the time they played the utes and they are terrible now.

When Michigan played the utes, they looked like one of the worst teams in the country. They then went out and lost to a horrible Notre Dame team - they got blown out. They then beat Wisconsin (at the time thought to be a decent team) - their confidence should be sky high and they should be playing to the best of their ability after that. Well, that is true - their confidence was high and they played to the best of their ability, but still lost, at home, to Toledo. They are just a bad football team and have been all season.
So you don't think that teams improve or regress over the course of a season?

Michigan looked pretty tough 2nd half against Utah. They're deeper at several positions and their players are big, strong, and fast.

Sometimes good teams make their opponents look really bad.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So you don't think that teams improve or regress over the course of a season?

Michigan looked pretty tough 2nd half against Utah. They're deeper at several positions and their players are big, strong, and fast.

Sometimes good teams make their opponents look really bad.
Like Toledo did to Michigan?

BTW, of course teams improve or regress over the course of a season.

Which has Michigan done?

Did they improve to the point that they could beat Wisconsin and then regress again to the point they could lose to Toledo?

Maybe their season is a roller coaster that began at it's highest point which was when their good team lost to the utes. I guess if that makes ute fans feel better, go for it.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote