cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Roy Williams quotes on BYU

per byucougars.com following the game tonight......

North Carolina Head Coach Roy Williams

"You saw cupcakes and ice cream yesterday, and tonight was tough as all get out. The toughness is something that I enjoy though because it is something we need to work on.

"BYU is a big time basketball team. For a while we were playing football under our basket and the same under theirs. It was a hard-fought game all around."

"I think our depth was important. I think they missed some threes late in the game because their legs were tired, but at the same time our players were tired at the end of the game too."

"Plaisted was sensational in the second half. Our plan coming out of the locker room was not to double team in the post because he is a good passer too, but he took it to us with a superb second half."

I told both Tavernari and Plaisted that they are big time players. I can admire the way that Tavernari plays. You look at Plaisted's numbers, 24 and 17, those are big time numbers."

"BYU is very sound fundamentally. They were able to box out on the board just as well as anyone we have seen so far."
Old 11-25-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

High praise from a guy who knows good play when he sees it.

BYU did it's fans proud tonight.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
"I think our depth was important. I think they missed some threes late in the game because their legs were tired, but at the same time our players were tired at the end of the game too."
I had the same thought about the fatigue factor. Watching the 2nd half, and more specifically the last 6-7 minutes, nearly every 3 point attempt (and there were a bunch of them) hit the front rim, a sure sign of dead leg. I doubt this will be as much of a factor once tourney play is over, as there will be no more tough back-to-back games like this weekend.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU looks good. Tavernari can be a beast and he has what every fan loves to see...a willingness to shoot at any time at any place. That is a great quality until a guy goes cold, but that was very entertaining to see him hoisting those shots up and hitting a bunch of them.

I can imagaine the horror though of seeing Cummard throw up 3 pointers on back to back to back plays in the last few minutes of the game. I can think of about 20 other types of shots that I would have prefered seeing than Cummard launching deep so many times in the 2nd half. Impressive overall though and it will be interesting to see if the Y can keep it up for the year.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote