cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #121
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I love how our evolved sensibilities in the 21st century permit us to look down our noses on every conflict in the entire history of the world, and properly categorize each one as genocidal, ethnic cleansing, or unrighteous occupation.

All the while, we sit in our air-conditioned offices and enjoy the fruits. How beautifully self-righteous.
It is like the grandstand coach who knows if the coach had only called a different play, the team would have won.

It is easy to sit back and judge those back in history and plug in them behaving better and the results would be better.

That doesn't condone the bad things that did happen. However, it does say don't live there. Learn from it and move on.

I would like to hear how Lebowski and Waters would have handled the colonization of America.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #122
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, in American, you will be politically blessed if you say you strongly support Israel and demonize the Palestinians a little bit. I.e. "Palestinians should accept peace, and not violence."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #123
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I will say this: I don't want my son to die because of the Israelis and Palestinians.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #124
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Actually, in American, you will be politically blessed if you say you strongly support Israel and demonize the Palestinians a little bit. I.e. "Palestinians should accept peace, and not violence."
Do you really find that surprising.

Let's see, Iran, Syria, Lebanon, terrorists. Israel: democratic and believes in half of the Bible and is powerful financially in US.

Duh, I am going to side with the Arabs.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #125
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tex we have some space to think about what is right, and how conflicts can be resolved. Maybe Israelis and Palestinians do not have that space, and that is part of the problem. They think a Foxnews approach is going to solve their problems.
Oh, I'm all for taking time to think about what's right, and how conflicts can be resolved. Sign me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yet again, Tex sides with "The Man". Shocking.
Is it more or less shocking than you and others making condescending judgments of other people? I just can't decide ...

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #126
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Do you really find that surprising.

Let's see, Iran, Syria, Lebanon, terrorists. Israel: democratic and believes in half of the Bible and is powerful financially in US.

Duh, I am going to side with the Arabs.
Israel is no more democratic than South Africa was pre-apartheid.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #127
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Oh, I'm all for taking time to think about what's right, and how conflicts can be resolved. Sign me up.

Is it more or less shocking than you and others making condescending judgments of other people? I just can't decide ...

That's what intellectuals do. Use their vast superior intelligence to make condescending judgments of people. You and the other mullahs on the other hand use your vastly superior contact with God to make condescending judgements.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #128
BYU71

Quote:

OK Mikey, take out democracy, their belief in the Bible and their wealth in the US. Arabs kill Americans. Let's just say there is that one issue. I still can understand how most Americans might side with Israel.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #129
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bull.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #130
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
It is like the grandstand coach who knows if the coach had only called a different play, the team would have won.

It is easy to sit back and judge those back in history and plug in them behaving better and the results would be better.

That doesn't condone the bad things that did happen. However, it does say don't live there. Learn from it and move on.

I would like to hear how Lebowski and Waters would have handled the colonization of America.
You are the one that brought up the history of US conflict with natives and Mexicans, not me. I was responding to your question. I certainly have not equated it to the current Israel/Palestine conflict. I simply said that we committed genocide/ethnic cleansing on the Indians on numerous occasions. Would you or Tex disagree with that assessment?