cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is being gay a choice?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 24 66.67%
Undecided 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #51
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
By the way, whether it's environmental factors or not is neither here nor there to it being a choice. Someone can be rendered a paraplegic by environmental factors, but failure to walk is not a choice. "Environmental factors" vs. genetic is a red herring.
You offer a red herring with red herring? You cannot divert the discussion away from the inherent inadequacy of your initial question --what others have called a lack of nuance-- with an emphatic dismissal of environmental factors.

And only you would be so insensitive as to equate paralysis with homosexuality.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #52
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I guess this is my point as well. Despite the seeming absence of empirical evidence that men choose to be sexually attracted to other men, many social conservatives choose to believe this, because it makes THEM feel better about their beliefs and political actions.
So, by suggesting that it is not a choice, does that mean that if it were a choice most gay men and or women would then choose not to be gay? Just curious.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #53
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
“Just about every animal is bisexual to some degree” is a woefully ignorant statement especially just following the denunciation of the inherent binary nature of sexuality in the animal kingdom.

Animals, other than the human animal are incapable of knowing or understanding that they may be trying to copulate with a male or female of their species at the instinctively appointed mating periods of their existence. Instinct to mate governs their actions, not sexual preference. Humans are the only animals on the planet that engage in sexual activity randomly and for reasons in addition to the perpetuation of the species.

Therefore continual bisexuality and homosexuality in humans is due to a conscious choice on the part of the human, because the desire to mate is not purely instinctive but rather a deliberate act.
Furthermore if an animal, at the instinctive appointed time of mating, chooses to attempt to mate with the wrong sex of it’s species is that not a function of natural selection … insurance that it’s genetic make-up will not be perpetuated?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #54
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
So, by suggesting that it is not a choice, does that mean that if it were a choice most gay men and or women would then choose not to be gay? Just curious.
lol
Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #55
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I have an agenda but I am a pure hearted seeker of truth. I'm in the right here unless anyone can persuade me that sexual preference is a choice. Because I have a belief and a point to make doesn't disqualify me from being righteous.
So long as you are willing to concede that all participants with a contrary point of view are also in the right based upon the qualification in your last sentence.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
The personal accounts I have heard with my own ears--being gay was something they desperately did NOT want to be. And of course I have heard the same sort of accounts in media and press. Honestly, I have never heard an account where someone claimed it was not tremendously difficult and ego-dystonic. That's why I asked you guys for an example. One example. Of course just one example doesn't prove that you "choicers" are correct, but it does add to possibility.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #57
MikeWaters
Demiurge

How many gay Mormon suicides will it take for some of you to realize that being gay is not something most of these folks wanted to be?

Again, accounts of suicide empirically supporting me. I'm still waiting for one anecdote from the choicers.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Even the church's position that gay men can have temple recommends supports my position.

If it is a conscious deliberate choice to be gay, wouldn't it be a sin?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #59
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #60
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Even the church's position that gay men can have temple recommends supports my position.

If it is a conscious deliberate choice to be gay, wouldn't it be a sin?
We are all sinners and yet we are still given a recommend.