cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #51
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yes, they were fine players but mostly they won because they were such excellent people.
They were living right on and off the court and, boom, magic happened.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 AM   #52
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Michael Vranes that played at BYU would have been a star if he didnt blow out his ankle that ended his career.

Also I think Alex Jensen is overrated and Tom Chambers was awesome in NBA Jam.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:21 AM   #53
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Do you know who wrote that Wiki article? JazzyUte. That's all I'll say about that.

Again, he was First Team AP All-American, one of the five best players in the country his junior year. And Jensen makes the team and he doesn't. Jensen was never even the best player in the MWC or his team. It's ridiculous.
Alex Jensen was MWC player of the year as a senior, so you are wrong. Plus, I haven't seen anyone rate Jensen ahead of Miller. Miller is the best Ute of all time.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:44 AM   #54
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Alex Jensen was MWC player of the year as a senior, so you are wrong.
Yeah. Take that, Sucka.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 AM   #55
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Alex Jensen was MWC player of the year as a senior, so you are wrong. Plus, I haven't seen anyone rate Jensen ahead of Miller. Miller is the best Ute of all time.
Had to be a down year for the MWC. He was a very good player, but was he rated one of the five best in the country, like Burden was by the AP?

A few years back there was a poll on Utefans and Jensen beat Miller by a landslide.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 AM   #56
creekster

Here's the problem with talking about Jensen and Burden. Jensen would not have thrived in the game as it was played when Burden was playing. It was a different game, the Utes ran a very different offense. It is hard to compare them. I think Jensen was a very, very solid player but Burden was a great player and would have toasted Jensen back then. Under today's style of game, Burden would not be likely to score 30 a game, but he still would have done pretty well. To some degree all these types of discussions are "my memories are better than your memories" so it's all good.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #57
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Here's the problem with talking about Jensen and Burden. Jensen would not have thrived in the game as it was played when Burden was playing. It was a different game, the Utes ran a very different offense. It is hard to compare them. I think Jensen was a very, very solid player but Burden was a great player and would have toasted Jensen back then. Under today's style of game, Burden would not be likely to score 30 a game, but he still would have done pretty well. To some degree all these types of discussions are "my memories are better than your memories" so it's all good.
Pimm's motion offense was a lot like Majerus' motion offense. They weren't the Runnin' Utes under Pimm either. Look, it's hard enough for a WAC/MWC player to even get recognized. He needs to be extraordinaryily good to be first team AA.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 AM   #58
creekster

Quote:
Pimm's motion offense was a lot like Majerus' motion offense. They weren't the Runnin' Utes under Pimm either. Look, it's hard enough for a WAC/MWC player to even get recognized. He needs to be extraordinaryily good to be first team AA.
You think the game was the same back then? If you teleported refs from 1975 to a march madness game in 2008 they would call traveling about 1/2 of every possession and would call fouls on almost every possession for what is now accepted as hard nosed alex jensen style defense. Do you disagree?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #59
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You think the game was the same back then? If you teleported refs from 1975 to a march madness game in 2008 they would call traveling about 1/2 of every possession and would call fouls on almost every possession for what is now accepted as hard nosed alex jensen style defense. Do you disagree?
I think the more wide open game now including the shot clock, 3 point shots and dunk, and less nitpicking about traveling and fouls would be more suitable to Burden's style. Jensen would have thrived in 1975 even more than in 2000. I bet half of Burden's shots were well outside the 3. He had a beautiful outside shot, about the best I've ever seen.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-15-2008, 03:54 AM   #60
creekster

Quote:
I think the more wide open game now including the shot clock, 3 point shots and dunk, and less nitpicking about traveling and fouls would be more suitable to Burden's style. Jensen would have thrived in 1975 even more than in 2000. I bet half of Burden's shots were well outside the 3. He had a beautiful outside shot, about the best I've ever seen.

SOmetimes I just don't think I even know who you are anymore.

More wide open? Ticky had a great shot but they would have packed him down hard. If things are so wide open now, why do you think it is that we don't see very many 30 point averages anymore? We reach the same conclusion about Ticky but man we get there differently. OF course, I was never manager of a team so maybe I should defer (said only half in jest).