cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Another New Precedent from Bushy.

I was talking to an amateur historian friend of mine, and he was telling me that Bush ordering Harriett Miers not to appear before congress in response to a congressional subpoena is a "first in American history."

According to this friend of mine, plenty of people have appeared before congress and claimed executive privilege, etc. But never in US history has someone not shown up with absolutely no explanation. For example, out of respect for the congress, a person would make an appearance and inform the congress publicly that he or she would not speak and explain the reasons why. In the case of Harriett, her attorney simply informed the subcommittee that she would not appear.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
SoonerCoug

Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Dems should be happy. Lots of precedence from this administration to use to their own advantage too.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Dems should be happy. Lots of precedence from this administration to use to their own advantage too.
I think it's a felony not to appear, though...unless you can claim executive privilege. I guess she could make that claim, but she hasn't.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I was talking to an amateur historian friend of mine, and he was telling me that Bush ordering Harriett Miers not to appear before congress in response to a congressional subpoena is a "first in American history."

According to this friend of mine, plenty of people have appeared before congress and claimed executive privilege, etc. But never in US history has someone not shown up with absolutely no explanation. For example, out of respect for the congress, a person would make an appearance and inform the congress publicly that he or she would not speak and explain the reasons why. In the case of Harriett, her attorney simply informed the subcommittee that she would not appear.
I think there have been several firsts in American history over the last 6 years, on both sides.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #6
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think there have been several firsts in American history over the last 6 years, on both sides.
I agree.

I just wonder how "checks and balances" can exist in this political environment.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I think it's a felony not to appear, though...unless you can claim executive privilege. I guess she could make that claim, but she hasn't.
Agreed.

I'll be glad when this administration is finally out of there - and I'm more conservative than most here. Then again, Bush is closer to a fascist than a conservative.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You say that as if it is a good thing.

One day, we will all look back with regret at the things we allowed our president to get away with in this administration.
No, I don't necessarily look at it that way. At least, not all of it.

One thing is for sure: it's not all Bush.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #9
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
One thing is for sure: it's not all Bush.
I agree. It's his underlings too.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I find it very disturbing to see Republicans working so hard to undermine the checks and balances of our government.

The judiciary is excoriated by Republicans for being "activist" (read "not in agreement with Republicans"). If you ask Mormons in Utah about the judiciary, you are quite likely going to hear something very negative. Most of the negativity stems from political propaganda by their party rather than a legitimate shift to "activism" by the judiciary. The end result is that one of the three pillars of our government is being vehemently attacked with the intent of weakening that branch of government (not surprisingly, congressional leaders speak the loudest, since they gain the most by a weakened judiciary).

The executive is doing whatever he can to weaken Congress' oversight of the executive branch. Bush is also happy to ignore the judiciary and precedent.

Our government is finely balanced. Any disturbance in the equilibrium of the three branches generally leads to very bad results.
Not that I disagree with you, because you are correct; however, I wouldn't say the Dems cutting off funding to Cheney (which I agree with) isn't really keeping in the spirit of checks and balances either. Nor is not wanting to wait for the report from Iraq to decide what to do with any funding.