cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Plaisted vertical, mystery solved

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6623

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
And no I don't buy he has a 41" vertical jump. I was listening to the radio and heard the original interview where Wrubell asked him his vertical jump. He said 41" and then they pushed him a little, and he explained it as though he was counting a running vertical jump instead of a standing vertical jump which will add quite a bit to your vertical. He can obviously jump, but if a a 6'11" guy had a 41" vertical, it would be absolutely sickening and Plaisted's not quite that amazing. Anyway...
Quote:
P.S. If TP really had a 41" standing vertical jump at 6'11" and his athleticism, he could probably be trained to break the world record in the high jump. It's just very doubtful to me that this is true.
Quote:
OK I see a thread on CB now referring to a couple articles that state the 41" is a "running" vertical.

FYI, by my guess, a 41" running vertical for Trent equates to about a 32" standing vertical, which is what you usually hear quoted. That is still not chopped liver, but this 41" thing has bothered me for a long time.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3781425

Quote:
6'10.25" in shoes, 6'10.5" wingspan, 8'9.5" standing reach, 11% body fat, 30.5" no step vert, 35.5" max vert, 14 185 lb bench reps, 11.32 lane agility drill, 3.17 3/4 court sprint

In other words: not very solid for a post player trying to get into the league based on athleticism and potential. His shorter wingspan and lower than advertised vertical will hurt him. His combine results essentially came out the same as Kevin Love, a guy most people were describing as extremely skilled but with questionable athleticism.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

Phew! Thanks, that was keeping me up at night!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

So a 35.5 inch vertical for a 6'10" guy isn't impressive?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

He has the best vertical of any player over 6'7. That is pretty impressive.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

why did Plaisted have such a big problem finishing at the rim?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
why did Plaisted have such a big problem finishing at the rim?
Aggressiveness.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So a 35.5 inch vertical for a 6'10" guy isn't impressive?
Please reread. There's a difference between impressive and absolutely sickening.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Aggressiveness.
That and he lacks skill. I think he dominated for so long because of his mixture of size and athleticism that he never developed the skill. A good example of a recent Y big who I thought was very skilled was Mikeli Wesley. He understood angles, post position and had an array of offensive moves. Trent on the other hand outathleticised you or struggled. His bio when he got to BYU described him as "crafty." He is a great athlete for a big guy but an average ball player. I liked him as a Cougar but I think he has a great career in Europe.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
That and he lacks skill. I think he dominated for so long because of his mixture of size and athleticism that he never developed the skill. A good example of a recent Y big who I thought was very skilled was Mikeli Wesley. He understood angles, post position and had an array of offensive moves. Trent on the other hand outathleticised you or struggled. His bio when he got to BYU described him as "crafty." He is a great athlete for a big guy but an average ball player. I liked him as a Cougar but I think he has a great career in Europe.
did he dominate? I don't remember. I seem to remember Joe Darger being able to push him 10 feet off the block.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
did he dominate? I don't remember. I seem to remember Joe Darger being able to push him 10 feet off the block.
I meant through HS. Of course he dominated in HS he played in the biggest pussy state in the Union.