cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone seen Melinda and Melinda?

It's the most recent Woody Allen flick. We watched it over the weekend and it was pretty good. I mean, it's no Sleeper or Annie Hall, but it definitely has some good moments, mostly from Will Ferrell.

It's got four artsy types in a bistro discussing whether life is inherently tragic or comedic and they begin to discuss a scenario. One guy turns it into a tragedy while the other gives it a comedic spin. The same character plays Melinda in both while the supporting cast changes. She was unbearable in the tragedy, but the comedy was very entertaining.

If you like Woody Allen or want to think a little and laugh a little, try this one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378947/
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:26 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Woody Allen film...

IMO, would be "Take the money and run". A mockumentary type about the life of a career criminal - how he started and the result of his choices.

The scene of him playing the cello in the marching band is absolutely hilarious.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:39 AM   #3
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Woody Allen film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
IMO, would be "Take the money and run". A mockumentary type about the life of a career criminal - how he started and the result of his choices.

The scene of him playing the cello in the marching band is absolutely hilarious.
My favorite Woody Allen scene is from Annie Hall. It's where Annie's brother Duane -- played by Christopher Walken -- is driving Alvy home. It's night time and raining and Duane is speaking:

"Can I confess something? I tell you this as an artist; I think you'll understand. Sometimes when I'm driving... on the road at night... I see two headlights coming toward me. Fast. I have this sudden impulse to turn the wheel quickly, head-on into the oncoming car. I can anticipate the explosion. The sound of shattering glass. The... flames rising out of the flowing gasoline."

The camera then pans to Alvy, who is cowering on his side of the car. I love that movie.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:40 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a fan of Woody Allen. Haven't seen that movie though.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:51 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Darn. The title was intriguing until you mentioned it's a Woody Allen flick.

ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote