cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default The AP calls Nevada for Romney.

I am not at all surprised Romney won there (it would have been a big upset for him to lose, I think), but I am very surprised the AP already called it. I know it is a caucus state, but are they already finished caucusing? I would have guessed that would take place later on tonight.

Arch? How does it work down there?

This solidifies my view that Romney is the candidate to beat. He should have the most delegates of all Republicans by Super Tuesday. Nevada has more than SC, and he will, I think, place 3rd in SC taking a good percentage of those delegates too. He is highly competitive in Florida (which is now a must win for Rudy- though I think he will place 2nd).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to agree, but the networks seems to be covering only two races today, the Dems in Nevada and the Repubs in South Carolina. Nevada for the Repubs is 34 delegates, S Carolina is 24, but they can't keep from talking about how important S Carolina is.

Florida is the key and the latest poll showed a virtual three-way tie between Romney, McCain, and Rudy. If McCain loses again today, he will really be hurting.

I wonder if Romney might not be bounced back to 4th in S. Carolina, a setback given how much coverage the state is getting.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 01-19-2008 at 08:54 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Check out this exit poll. 94% of mormons voted for Romney.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default Romney could leave South Carolina with 0 delegates...

it is a split winner take all state, which means each district winner gets that delegate and than the state leader would get the bonus delegates. So Romney might pull at most 2 delegates out of South Carolina today unless some crazy event keeps the Huckabee, McCain voters from showing up.

The irony is that even if McCain or Huckabee win South Carolina they might at most pull out 9 or 10 delegates given how tight the race is. Romney is currently at 50% of Nevada which means no less than 17 Delegates.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
unless some crazy event keeps the Huckabee, McCain voters from showing up.
Well, there are 4 inches of snow expected in SC today. That could make things interesting.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote