cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #41
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
So I've tried Sushi YA in Provo, Sushi Express in Sandy, and Happy Sumo in Provo. Happy Sumo was by far the most commercial, but still decent. Sushi YA is far and pretty cheap (decent hand rolls for $5-$6). Anybody have any other places to recommend?
I rolled the Sumo with your husband in his single days long, long ago.

There is a place in downtown SLC that is great. It's called Takashi, it's located just off Main St and between 3rd and 4th S. It's the best place in Utah right now. Well worth the trip, take TRAX the whole way in and out.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #42
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The wife and I drove to Sandy last Saturday and tried this place out. We weren't overly impressed. The salad was straight out of a bag and soggy. And my soda came in a 12-oz. can. Nevertheless, we looked forward to the sushi. It was OK. We have had worse, but we have had better also. In the end, the tab came to $44 plus tip. If I lived in the neighborhood I would go there, but I don't know if it is worth the drive.

BTW, we tried a new place in the Apline/Lehi/AF area that you should check out. It is called Yapono (Yapona?) and it is accross the street to the south of Costco. Pricey, but excellent quality.
Mpfunk and I tried Yapona last night and really liked it. It's nice to have decent sushi closer than 20 miles away. It was a big spendy, but the traditional rolls were in about the same price range as I've seen most places. The specialty rolls ran $10-$16, if I remember correctly.

Check it out at http://www.yapona.com
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #43
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

not that anybody will care, but there is a terrific sushi place in redding california w/ a terrific chef. rolls average 4$, and they are literally the best that i have ever had.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #44
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
not that anybody will care, but there is a terrific sushi place in redding california w/ a terrific chef. rolls average 4$, and they are literally the best that i have ever had.
We'll only pretend to not care because we're jealous...
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Hey Sister Funk,

Here is another tip on Utah Valley Sushi. Happy Sumo has a VIP club and you can sign up when you visit the restaurant. They mail you a $10 gift certificate each year on your birthday (register your husband, too). And each month they have a few nights where you can get special deals. You get an e-mail each month with a link to a voucher and a calendar. Here is the February voucher.

http://www.happysumosushi.com/feb08provip.html

(You could actually print and use this one if you want.) They have a VIP menu that is half-price. It include some appetizers, salads, and some of the more basic rolls. We went over tonight and it is a good bargain. The sunomono salad is very good and the rolls are decent quality. The California, Unagi, and Spicy Scallop rolls were especially good.