cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does class size matter?

I posit that our Gospel Doctrine class in Sunday School is broken.

Am I talking about the problem of repeating the same format every year (rotating through the scriptures)? No. Am I talking about a lack of quality teachers? No.

I'm talking about a lack of meaningful interaction, which simply cannot be accomplished in the large classroom format.

I made a suggestion to my ward leaders that we start up more small classes that are approved as part of the curriculum. Family relations. Temple prep (but allow already-endowed members to attend).

The idea was not warmly received. The pushback was that "it is very important for the members to learn the standard works." "We'll be too diluted." "We already don't have enough attending gospel doctrine."

There is a goodly percentage of my ward that does not attend Sunday School at all. People vote with their feet.

We had a lady who was called to be Relief Society President a couple of weeks ago. She has been in the ward for at least a dozen years. I have been in the ward for three years. I didn't even know who she was, had never spoken to her, and knew nothing about her (she is either not married, or husband doesn't attend church). I'm intrigued by her. Don't get the wrong idea--she's probably 65 years old. She is the owner/president of a large successful business, which makes her very different than most women in the church.

The way we set up our Sundays, it's very hard for a male to get to know females, except via their husbands. Esp. if they do not attend most ward activities.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

My ward is so large that they have to have smaller classes because the large classrooms cannot accommodate the gospel doctrine class otherwise. I don't think they would have segregated otherwise. Of course, I'm not sure that is the answer to getting to know others or gaining their perspectives. Those small classes also tend to have a short run, which gives them limited usefulness in terms of relationship building.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I posit that our Gospel Doctrine class in Sunday School is broken.

Am I talking about the problem of repeating the same format every year (rotating through the scriptures)? No. Am I talking about a lack of quality teachers? No.

I'm talking about a lack of meaningful interaction, which simply cannot be accomplished in the large classroom format.

I made a suggestion to my ward leaders that we start up more small classes that are approved as part of the curriculum. Family relations. Temple prep (but allow already-endowed members to attend).

The idea was not warmly received. The pushback was that "it is very important for the members to learn the standard works." "We'll be too diluted." "We already don't have enough attending gospel doctrine."

There is a goodly percentage of my ward that does not attend Sunday School at all. People vote with their feet.
We are limited by the number of classrooms. We had two gospel doctrine classes but the dropped one when they started a session of marriage and family relations so they could use the classroom.

I am often in the foyer during SS with the baby. Lots of folks are skipping SS.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote