cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 02:11 AM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default What books have you read this Year?

What books have you read this year and in particular which ones did you enjoy the most and would recommend to the Cougarguard masses?

I read the following:

John Adams
Angels & Demons
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Hubener vs. Hitler
Sphere
Animal Farm
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Atlas Shrugged
Ric Flair: To Be The Man
Deception Point
The first 2 Chronicles of Narnia Books and I'm on the 3rd now.

My favorite book was John Adams. I don't think I've ever read a more beautifully written book and it was easy for me to see how it won the Pulitzer.

Atlas Shrugged was the toughest book I've read in terms of it's scope and message. A tough read, but a worthy one, and I'm glad I did. Moral relativism is an interesting concept presented by Ayn Rand, though I'm not sure I'll read any of her other stuff. I know a friend who liked Fountainhead just as much.

I really enjoyed Angels & Demons. A crackling good adventure yarn with some surprising twists. I thought it was better than Da Vinci Code.

Next I think I'm going to read Rough Stone Rolling, the new Joseph Smith biopic by Bushman.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:30 AM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What books have you read this Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
What books have you read this year and in particular which ones did you enjoy the most and would recommend to the Cougarguard masses?

I read the following:

John Adams
Angels & Demons
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Hubener vs. Hitler
Sphere
Animal Farm
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Atlas Shrugged
Ric Flair: To Be The Man
Deception Point
The first 2 Chronicles of Narnia Books and I'm on the 3rd now.

My favorite book was John Adams. I don't think I've ever read a more beautifully written book and it was easy for me to see how it won the Pulitzer.

Atlas Shrugged was the toughest book I've read in terms of it's scope and message. A tough read, but a worthy one, and I'm glad I did. Moral relativism is an interesting concept presented by Ayn Rand, though I'm not sure I'll read any of her other stuff. I know a friend who liked Fountainhead just as much.

I really enjoyed Angels & Demons. A crackling good adventure yarn with some surprising twists. I thought it was better than Da Vinci Code.

Next I think I'm going to read Rough Stone Rolling, the new Joseph Smith biopic by Bushman.
Nice list. John Adams is one of my all-time favorite books. 1776 was awesome also, but too short. If you enjoyed the Adams biography, I strongly recommend the Truman bio by McCullough (assuming you haven't already read it). It also won the Pulitzer. Fascinating book.

I was kind of disappointed in "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". Didn't do much for me.

I thought last few lines in Sphere were pretty cool, but I am surprised how many people don't like the ending.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Curious Incident didn't do much for me either. When I expressed that opinion I was told I was insensitive by a few posters on Cougarboard.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default I am never good at remembering the books I have read

Here goes for this year:

To Kill a mockingbird - Harper Lee
Goodbye Mr Chips - James Hilton
Bag of Bones - Stephen King
Ghost Story - Peter Straub
The Devils Teardrop - Jeffery Deaver
Kirkland Revels - Victoria Holt
The Man in the Brown Coat - Agatha Christie
some other book by Jeffery Deaver
Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
Brian Piccolo: A short season - Jeannie Morris
A Christmas Carol - Dickens
Bleak House - Dickens
Mystery of the Nile: The Epic Story of the First Descent of the World's Deadliest River - Richard Bangs, Pasquale Scaturro
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
I know there were some more, but I can think of them

I am currently reading The Historian. I like it but have been busy lately so havent been able to sit down get throught it.

I am also reading Les Miserables by Hugo but I am doing that in french so it is taking forever. I need to start back up again.

I will be getting Rough Stone Rolling for christmas so I plan on reading that next as well
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote